Staff Engineer - Data
Toronto, Ontario /
Engineering – Data /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are looking for a Staff Engineer to join our growing Engineering Team. In this role, you will work closely with key technical partners across the organization to ensure that BenchSci’s technical infrastructure and codebase will be able to support long-term growth. Reporting to the VP of Engineering, you will provide technical leadership across several functional areas within the team, lead complex projects, participate in roadmap and project planning, and actively contribute to BenchSci's data engineering and architecture initiatives. The Staff Engineer will help foster the growth and development of other individual contributors, while also playing a key role in helping us scale as we continue to make a long-term impact on scientific discovery.
- Work with multiple teams working on key customer features and our own significant internal development projects
- Contribute to setting technical and architectural direction for our Data Engineering teams with a focus on expanding the scope of our products and our ability to make life-scientists more effective
- Guide the architecture of BenchSci in order to help us handle data more securely and accurately
- Decouple work done by teams to more readily allow for more independent work and smaller feature releases
- Be involved in all aspects of software development, working to create and maintain the most reliable, secure, performant and high throughput service for our customers by using cutting-edge cloud technology (this can range from setting high-level technical direction down to implementation)
- Be an inspiring mentor and coach to other engineers
- Act as a champion and advocate for the company and its engineering teams through various channels
- A minimum of 8 years of professional development experience, with 2 years at a Staff level
- Expertise in data management practices, including approaches to capturing provenance, versioning, and disaster recovery
- Experience working with secure data, including compliance with regulations like HIPAA and GDPR
- Expertise with data processing engines such as Apache Beam
- Experience working with SaaS products in a fast-paced Agile environment
- The ability to drive the engineering team towards the decisions they make while minimizing friction
- The ability to translate business concerns into technical implementations
- Experience with coaching and mentoring technical teams
- Experience with big data
- Experience communicating trade-offs in approaches to security, speed to ship, and performance
- Domain expertise in either machine learning, distributed systems, data engineering, or cloud infrastructure
- Experience providing feedback to other individual contributors while showing a sense of empathy, tact, thoughtfulness, and respect
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- Successful delivery of at least one major project in a domain space that is relevant to BenchSci. Relevant domain areas may include, but are not limited to: machine learning, information retrieval, or distributed systems
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options in the company
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan: All employees get the “executive treatment”
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health tools and support: Optional mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe: Find out what your DNA says about your health, traits, and ancestry
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week: Get 15 days to use anytime, and we’re closed Dec 25-Jan 1
- Additional days off: Company summer day, your birthday, and earn +1 vacation day annually
- Work from anywhere flexibility: Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym: Keep fit, conveniently, with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package: Including health and dental
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.