VP of People Operations
Toronto, Ontario /
Operations – HR /
BenchSci's vision is to help scientists bring novel medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We do this by empowering scientists to run more successful experiments with the world's most advanced, easy to use biomedical artificial intelligence software platform, thereby avoiding delays that slow the progress of medicine to clinical trials. Backed by F-Prime, Inovia, Golden Ventures, and Google's AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for more than 41,000 scientists that accelerates research at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are currently looking for a VP of People Operations. You will lead and develop people strategies, processes, and programs that create high-performing teams, a strong and engaged culture, and an efficient workplace in a continuously evolving high-growth startup environment. You will report directly to the CEO and be a key advisor on organizational and management strategies and issues at the Company.
- Manage recruitment efforts, including in-house, hands-on recruitment strategies
- Design and oversee the employee onboarding experience
- Lead employee engagement processes and programs
- Oversee employee total rewards programs, including benefits and the annual compensation review process
- Oversee BenchSci's semi-annual promotion process to support internal talent mobility and employee growth
- Create an employee experience plan that strengthens our company culture
- Design, direct, and manage a company-wide process of organization development that addresses: succession planning, superior workforce development, key employee retention, organization design, and change management
- Drive strategies to connect people to our vision, mission, and values, aligning people with our OKRs and values
- Create and implement training and development programs to attract, develop, and retain employees
- Lead and develop our People team and ensure best-in-class people operations
- Manage facilities including IT and general administration
- Develop and re-engineer internal HR processes to ensure maximum efficiency and compliance
- Evolve our employer brand by working closely with our marketing team
- Oversee development and management of thoughtful, scalable, HR processes that balance employee experience with compliance and legal requirements
- Support our diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) efforts and work closely with the Office of the CEO to achieve our DEI OKRs
- Demonstrated experience taking startups from 120 to 300-500 people
- Proven expertise scaling and developing high-performance organizations, processes, and software tools leveraging an action-oriented approach to engagement and culture
- 8+ years in previous senior human resources or people operations leadership roles
- Built and led teams of 10+ people
- Experience with full-cycle talent management programs including recruiting, onboarding, employee relations, and offboarding best practices
- Experience in corporate communications, planning, and events
- Deep knowledge of all HR functions
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan (everyone gets the "executive treatment")
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from an executive coach with a doctorate in clinical psychology
- Mental health support including mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week (we're closed Dec 25-Jan 1)
- Additional days off such as BenchSci summer day, your birthday, and more
- Work from anywhere flexibility. Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym to keep fit with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package including health, dental and vision care
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
BenchSci is committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. The work and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility. That fundamental belief will guide us along our diversity, equity, and inclusion journey. We are just at the beginning, we will experience moments of discomfort and we may stumble along the way but we are committed to continuously improving and creating equitable and systemic change.
BenchSci provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.