Senior Full Stack Engineer
Toronto or Remote (Canada) /
Engineering – Web Applications /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are currently looking for a Senior Full Stack Engineer to join our growing Web Applications Team and work on BenchSci's SaaS search product that currently empowers over 31,000 life-scientists across the world in their research. Reporting into the Engineering Manager, you’ll apply your technical and domain expertise to solve complex product challenges; participate in design discussions, code reviews, and project-related team meetings; and work with other engineers to develop creative solutions that meet business needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, and reliability.
- Be involved in all aspects of software development and create and maintain the most reliable, secure, performant, and high throughput service for our customers by applying cloud technology
- Partner closely with key engineering team members to iteratively turn high-level requirements into product enhancements that are delivered to customers incrementally and continually
- Contribute to improvements in processes and deliverables that increase the effectiveness and efficiency of the team in responding to customer and internal needs
- Document and present your ideas and solutions accurately and thoroughly
- Design and architect testable, scalable solutions to complex problems using the latest frameworks and tools
- Contribute to software design and architecture by applying cloud design patterns and injecting your cloud expertise into the entire development lifecycle
- Work on client facing projects involving some of the largest Pharmaceutical companies in the world
- Employ best practices for a broad platform of technologies within a cloud-based environment
- Collaborate closely with other engineers to solve interesting and challenging data problems
- Effectively communicate cross-cutting decisions to all potentially impacted teams
- Build trust with your colleagues through open and transparent communication
- Focus on what truly makes an impact
- Be provided with an opportunity to constantly grow and learn
- 7+ years working as a professional developer
- Experience with SQL, databases, APIs and full stack solutions
- Experience with cloud reference architectures and developing specialized stacks on cloud services
- A desire to learn and grow your skills
- An eagerness to share your own ideas and openness to those of others
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- Experience with Python and Django
- Experience with authentication solutioning and SSO
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options in the company
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan: All employees get the “executive treatment”
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health tools and support: Optional mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe: Find out what your DNA says about your health, traits, and ancestry
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week: Get 15 days to use anytime, and we’re closed Dec 25-Jan 1
- Additional days off: Company summer day, your birthday, and earn +1 vacation day annually
- Work from anywhere flexibility: Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym: Keep fit, conveniently, with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package: Including health and dental
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
BenchSci is committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. The work and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility. That fundamental belief will guide us along our diversity, equity, and inclusion journey. We are just at the beginning, we will experience moments of discomfort and we may stumble along the way but we are committed to continuously improving and creating equitable and systemic change.
BenchSci provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.