Intermediate Full Stack Engineer
Toronto or Remote (Canada) /
Engineering – Reagent Platform /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are looking for an Intermediate Full Stack Engineer to join our growing Reagent Platform Team. You will work on BenchSci's SaaS search product that helps scientists to find biological reagents for their experiments. Reporting into the Engineering Manager, you'll work on complex projects, actively contribute to BenchSci's platform front-end and back-end initiatives, and learn and grow along with other engineers as you develop creative solutions that meet business needs and promote long-term impact.
- Put your evolving full-stack engineering skills to use as you work closely with team members across various engineering teams to solve complex product challenges
- Work with others as you design testable, scalable solutions to challenging problems using the latest frameworks and tools
- Build out features for our Reagent Platform, from product design and architecture to launch, under the guidance of our Tech Leads and Engineering Managers
- Employ best practices for a broad platform of technologies within a cloud-based environment
- Manage your code by troubleshooting, debugging, and fixing issues
- Work on projects involving some of the largest Pharmaceutical companies in the world
- Solve difficult problems, provide an alternate viewpoint, and bring new perspectives to the team
- Provide troubleshooting analysis and resolution in a timely manner
- Have opportunities to work both independently and in pair-programming settings
- Be given an unmatched opportunity for growth and development, and to learn from a team of outstanding engineers
- Feel challenged and engaged as you’re exposed to new opportunities that will require you to push yourself
- 2+ years of experience working as a professional developer
- Experience with SQL, databases, APIs and full stack solutions
- Experience with cloud reference architectures and developing specialized stacks on cloud services
- Curiosity coupled with an interest in growing your skills
- Eagerness to share your own ideas and openness to those of others
- An eagerness to work with the latest tools and technologies available
- The desire to see constant improvement in both yourself and your team
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- Experience with Python and Django
- Experience with authentication solutioning and SSO
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options in the company
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan: All employees get the “executive treatment”
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health tools and support: Optional mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe: Find out what your DNA says about your health, traits, and ancestry
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week: Get 15 days to use anytime, and we’re closed Dec 25-Jan 1
- Additional days off: Company summer day, your birthday, and earn +1 vacation day annually
- Work from anywhere flexibility: Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym: Keep fit, conveniently, with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package: Including health and dental
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.