Software Engineer - Internal Tools
Toronto or Remote (Canada) /
Engineering – Data /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our Internal Tools Team! Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will be a key contributor to BenchSci’s Science Tools Platform, a self-serve and enablement system for the entire organization to manage our life-sciences data. The information provided by our scientists directly impacts the users of our platform by expanding and improving the quality of the data that helps to shorten the path of their research.
- Be a part of a team responsible for building full-stack web applications for our internal scientists
- Participate in our collaborative design process where your technical solutions are discussed, strengthened, and supported by input from a wider team of engineers
- Be directly involved in planning and design considerations
- Work closely with scientists, data engineers and researchers to solve complex problems around life-science data processing
- Design, plan, and execute quality technical deliverables in a timely manner
- Scale a highly adaptive ingestion framework to handle heterogeneous data from external sources
- Be joining a group of engineers who are passionate about technology, working collaboratively to increase their understanding of the science that our work is supporting
- Give presentations to various audiences, both technical and non-technical
- Have opportunities to work both independently and in pair-programming settings
- Be given an unmatched opportunity for growth and development, and to learn from a team of outstanding engineers
- 3+ years working as a professional full-stack developer
- A background in life sciences
- Experience working in a fast-paced Agile environment
- Experience with application development frameworks such as Django or Spring
- Experience with API development
- Experience with database design, secure authentication/authorization patterns, and RDBMS performance tuning
- Experience with cloud reference architectures and implementing standard data processing patterns on the cloud
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills
- An eagerness to share your own ideas and openness to those of others
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- Experience with Kubernetes in production
- Familiarity with data visualization libraries such as D3 or Chart.js
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options in the company
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan: All employees get the “executive treatment”
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health tools and support: Optional mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe: Find out what your DNA says about your health, traits, and ancestry
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week: Get 15 days to use anytime, and we’re closed Dec 25-Jan 1
- Additional days off: Company summer day, your birthday, and earn +1 vacation day annually
- Work from anywhere flexibility: Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym: Keep fit, conveniently, with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package: Including health and dental
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.