Toronto, Ontario /
Strategy and Marketing – BI and Analytics /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to join our Business Intelligence and Analytics team. Reporting to the Director of Business Intelligence and Analytics, you will manage all aspects of BI & A’s data management, enrichment and enhancement. This includes the implementation and maintenance of different analytics tools and data sources (CRM, Product, Marketing), evolving our data models to ensure self-service reporting and robust analytics, and operationalizing an outstanding analytics data pipeline.
- Carefully manage our data collection and pipeline processes, maintaining our analytics codebase, and ensuring consistent methods across tools and stakeholders
- Oversee the implementation, data integrity, and maintenance of all tools in our analytics stack (HubSpot, Salesforce, Planhat, Heap, ETL tools)
- Work with our Data Analyst to understand implementation requirements, and ensure delivered data outputs are aligned to stakeholder needs and expectations
- Partner with Engineering to ensure data integrity from our application to integrated analytics tools, and alignment to our data warehousing best practices
- Collaborate with your team members on BI & A to deliver clean datasets for various types of analyses and data science projects
- Make recommendations of other potential data sources to enhance models or analyses (e.g.: gathering new sources of data through web scraping)
- Make recommendations on how to continually optimize our infrastructure (e.g.: upgrades to analysis pipelines or data models)
- Manage our data warehouse (BigQuery), connecting all relevant data sources, managing ETLs, billing, modeling raw data into useable formats, and troubleshooting issues
- Support adherence to our data privacy and security policies, building alerts or automations to flag or prevent deviations from policy
- Scale our data pipelines to allow data to go from collection to reports and dashboards as efficiently as possible
- Develop data access mechanisms for downstream usage and consumption by internal users, or customer stakeholders
- Manage sources which contain both semi-structured and unstructured data
- Collaborate closely with other engineers to solve challenging data problems
- Stay up-to-date with skill growth and capabilities, ensuring we are following best practices
- Measure the impact of your work and strive to continuously improve your effectiveness
- Be a thought-leader, continually providing input on how to improve and enhance your processes and deliverables, and our teams’
- 3+ years of experience in an analytics data engineering role (focused in analytics), with proven track record of maintaining a robust analytics tech stack and management of analytics codebase, from raw data to analysis ready data
- Expertise in data warehouse maintenance, specifically with Google BigQuery (ETLs, data sourcing, modelling, cleansing, documentation, and maintenance)
- Experience programming and managing BI tools, writing ELT jobs, and using analytics engineering workflow tools like dbt
- Expertise in SQL, experience with Python and Pandas
- Experience with CRM and analytics datasets and tools (i.e.: HubSpot, Salesforce, Planhat, Heap, or similar)
- Experience building data pipeline and data flow documentation
- Exceptional attention to detail and often find mistakes or notice things others tend to miss
- Genuine enjoyment from diving into the weeds and solving technical problems and challenges
- You think like a scientist—question your assumptions and strive for data-driven decisions
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan (everyone gets the "executive treatment")
- Effectiveness coaching for managers including onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health support including mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week (we're closed Dec 25-Jan 1)
- Additional days off such as BenchSci summer day, your birthday, and more
- Work from anywhere flexibility. Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym to keep fit with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package including health, dental and vision care
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.