Engineering Manager, Machine Learning
Engineering – Data
Here at BenchSci, we accelerate drug discovery by using machine learning to facilitate successful experiments. We’re backed by Gradient Ventures, Google’s AI fund, and built by life scientists for life scientists. We’ve become the world leader in AI-assisted antibody selection, and we’re growing!
We are currently seeking an Engineering Manager to join our rapidly growing Machine Learning Team. As an Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for the planning of upcoming work, coordinating multiple engineering teams, and coaching their members. You will work closely with tech leads and scientists to evaluate priorities, and spot potential problems before they occur.
What you’ll do:
- Develop the quarterly road maps for multiple teams
- Work closely with technical leads to understand what deliverables are high risk and develop backup approaches
- Take a leadership role in our recruiting, hiring, and onboarding processes
- Manage the growth and development of all engineers on your teams
- Help improve the processes and patterns of multiple teams
- Engage with Science, Platform, and Data Pipeline teams to facilitate the delivery of complex, high-quality projects on time
Who we’re looking for:
- 5+ years working as a professional developer
- 2+ years working as an engineering team manager
- Experience with data engineering and machine learning tooling and patterns
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills
- Someone who has worked on projects that have gone from proof-of-concept through maintenance stages
- A team player who strives to see teammates succeed together
Bonus points for:
- Background in Life Science
- Having worked at companies during rapid growth stages
- Expertise in Python
What’s in it for you:
- Competitive salary with company benefits from day one
- Dedicated learning and development budget (conferences, courses, etc.)
- An opportunity to help transform and improve scientific research with a fun, energetic, and supportive team
- Quarterly team events, annual retreats, and regular lunch and learns
- Fully stocked kitchen with healthy snacks
- Onsite gym and showering facilities
- Casual dress code in a creative office environment (we have our own botanist!)
- Office located in the heart of downtown Toronto (College/Bathurst)
We empower the world's scientists to run more successful experiments to accelerate drug discovery.
With a 50% failure rate, inappropriate antibodies waste millions of research dollars and delay novel therapies by months. BenchSci’s AI solves this problem by continuously reading biomedical papers like a PhD biologist to understand which antibodies have been successfully used in which experiments. Unlike traditional antibody search tools, BenchSci uses comprehensive data, proprietary machine learning models, sophisticated bioinformatics and ontologies, proprietary image recognition technology, and a unique interface to increase confidence in antibody selection. This reduces the cost of research and increases its impact for over 31,000 scientists at more than 3,600 academic institutions and 15 of the top 20 pharmaceutical companies that trust BenchSci to guide their experiment design.
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.