Backend Tech Lead
Toronto, Ontario /
Engineering – Reagent Platform /
BenchSci exponentially increases the speed and quality of life-saving research by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime and Google’s AI fund, Gradient Ventures, BenchSci uses machine learning to diagnose pharmaceutical R&D health from hidden patterns in procurement data. A turnkey application of AI with immediate, quantifiable impact, BenchSci now optimizes reagent procurement and experimental success in 15 of the top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers globally.
We are currently seeking a Backend Tech Lead to join our growing Reagent Platform Team. As a Tech Lead, you will work on BenchSci's main search product that helps scientists to find biological reagents for their experiments. In this role, you will lead complex projects and actively contribute to BenchSci's back-end initiatives.
What you will be doing:
- You'll brainstorm with Product Managers, Designers and Full-stack Engineers to conceptualize and build new features for our clients, which include some of the largest Pharmaceutical companies in the world
- You'll lead a team of 3-5 indirect engineers to reliably hit weekly sprint goals
- You’ll produce high-quality results by leading or contributing heavily to large cross-functional projects that have a significant impact on the business
- You’ll actively own features or systems and define their long-term health, while also improving the health of surrounding systems
- You'll assist our skilled support team and operations team in triaging and resolving production issues
- You'll coach and mentor your team to continuously improve on their craft and challenge them to a higher engineering standard
- You’ll improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Design and architect testable, scalable solutions to complex problems, using the latest frameworks and tools
- Collaborate closely with other engineers to solve interesting and challenging data problems
Who we’re looking for:
- 5+ years working as a professional developer
- 2+ years working as a team/tech lead
- Expert knowledge in Python
- Experience building REST APIs
- Experience working with relational databases
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Experience building web applications in a very fast-paced environment
- Experience with cloud reference architectures and developing specialized stacks on cloud services
- A team player who strives to see teammates succeed together
Bonus points for experience with:
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.