Engineering Manager - Data
Toronto, Ontario /
Engineering – Data /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are currently seeking an Engineering Manager to lead our rapidly growing Information Retrieval and Data Pipeline teams. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, Data & DevOps, you will be responsible for planning and delivery, as well as the mentoring and coaching of data engineers. In this impactful role, you will work closely with key stakeholders across the organization and be instrumental in cross-team priorities and management. The most successful candidates for this role will be experienced software engineers who have transitioned to leading individual engineers and delivering complex data engineering solutions.
- Own and drive execution of product and technical roadmaps for 2 data engineering teams
- Take a leadership role in our recruiting, hiring, and onboarding processes
- Provide mentorship and carry out regular 1:1 meetings with direct reports
- Help improve the processes and patterns of data engineering at BenchSci
- Engage with ML, Science, Search, and Product teams to facilitate the delivery of complex projects with high quality in a timely manner
- Analyze, plan, and develop requirements and standards in reference to upcoming company projects
- Be a standard-bearer for culture who actively works toward building a cohesive team united by common engineering principles
- Delegate tasks and manage all technical issues within your team
- Work with your team to continuously drive improvements in quality and productivity
- Be an organizational leader, defining and contributing to cross-team initiatives and vision
- 5+ years of experience working as a professional software engineer
- 2+ years of experience working as an engineering team manager
- Experience in a leadership role providing technical direction to team members at all levels
- A proven track record of delivering complex development projects
- Solid experience with relational databases and data modeling
- Production experience with data processing tools such as Spark or Beam
- Software engineering experience in Python
- The ability to understand and explain complex systems, and independently learn new technologies
- Experience with Agile practices
- Strong leadership and communication skills
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- Familiarity with Life Sciences
- Previous work in a rapid-growth company
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options in the company
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan: All employees get the “executive treatment”
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health tools and support: Optional mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe: Find out what your DNA says about your health, traits, and ancestry
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week: Get 15 days to use anytime, and we’re closed Dec 25-Jan 1
- Additional days off: Company summer day, your birthday, and earn +1 vacation day annually
- Work from anywhere flexibility: Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym: Keep fit, conveniently, with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package: Including health and dental
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
BenchSci is committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. The work and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility. That fundamental belief will guide us along our diversity, equity, and inclusion journey. We are just at the beginning, we will experience moments of discomfort and we may stumble along the way but we are committed to continuously improving and creating equitable and systemic change.
BenchSci provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.