Director of Product Design
Toronto, Ontario /
Product – Design /
BenchSci's vision is to help scientists bring novel medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We do this by empowering scientists to run more successful experiments with the world's most advanced, easy to use biomedical artificial intelligence software platform, thereby avoiding delays that slow the progress of medicine to clinical trials. Backed by F-Prime, Inovia, Golden Ventures, and Google's AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for more than 41,000 scientists that accelerates research at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We’re currently seeking a Director of Product Design to lead BenchSci’s design practice. You’ll mentor and grow a talented team of product designers and researchers, oversee user experience across a suite of new products enabled by a robust data platform, and champion design and design thinking throughout the organization. In doing so, you’ll have the opportunity to fundamentally change how life saving scientific research is conducted.
- Spearhead the evolution of BenchSci’s growing design practice
- Lead and develop a talented team of designers and researchers to its full potential
- Architect a unified user experience across a new suite of products
- Recruit, nurture, and retain outstanding product design talent
- Help BenchSci to leverage design and design thinking to drive business outcomes
- Elevate standards for user experience in the life sciences
- Enhance BenchSci’s ability to conduct frequent, effective user research
- Champion design throughout the organization
- Collaborate with department leads in Science, Engineering, Customer Success, and Marketing, to elevate product experience
- Tackle completely novel design challenges in experiment design and drug development
- Evolve a strong culture of agile, collaborative, and data-driven design
- Leverage deep knowledge of the needs of our users (research scientists) and customers (top-20 pharmaceutical companies)
- Experience developing and implementing a roadmap for a large-scale design practice
- 8+ years combined relevant experience in UX design
- Led a high-functioning team of product designers and researchers (5+ direct reports)
- Built strong relationships with everyone that you have managed
- Extensive experience leading discovery and designing data-rich products
- Experience visualizing complex graph databases for users
- Worked in an agile product environment, working with cross-functional teams
- Established a cohesive user experience across multiple products
- Strong executive presence, and come from a place of understanding before implementing change
- Championed for and integrated user-centered design practices into the product development process
Nice to have, but not required qualification:
- An educational background or workplace experience in the life sciences
- Experience in a rapid-growth company
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan (everyone gets the "executive treatment")
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from an executive coach with a doctorate in clinical psychology
- Mental health support including mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week (we're closed Dec 25-Jan 1)
- Additional days off such as BenchSci summer day, your birthday, and more
- Work from anywhere flexibility. Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym to keep fit with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package including health, dental and vision care
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
BenchSci is committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. The work and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility. That fundamental belief will guide us along our diversity, equity, and inclusion journey. We are just at the beginning, we will experience moments of discomfort and we may stumble along the way but we are committed to continuously improving and creating equitable and systemic change.
BenchSci provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.