Senior Software Engineer, Data
Vancouver, British Columbia /
Engineering – Machine Learning /
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our growing Machine Learning team! Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will evolve our data models, operationalize production-grade data pipelines, and contribute to our document mining/information retrieval initiatives as we expand our ability to extract valuable insights from scientific publications and databases. You will be a part of the BenchSci Machine Learning team, working with a group of passionate engineers as you help shape the future of scientific discovery and progress.
BenchSci is a remote first organization. At this moment, we are welcoming applicants from Canada, the US and the UK for this position.
- Scale data pipelines to allow our data to go from research to platform as fast as possible
- Collaborate with ML and Data engineers to solve complex document mining challenges, helping us capture and model additional scientific experiments
- Develop data access mechanisms for downstream applications usage
- Expand the types of biological reagents and experiments that we can extract from several types of media
- Manage sources that contain both semi-structured and unstructured data
- Apply data processing engines to process our data sets
- Employ best practices for a broad platform of technologies within a cloud-based environment
- Provide troubleshooting analysis and resolution promptly
- Work on projects involving some of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world
- Solve difficult problems and bring new perspectives to the team
- Have opportunities to work both independently and in pair-programming settings
- 5+ years of experience working as a professional developer
- Expertise with Python and SQL
- Experience with cloud reference architectures and developing specialized stacks on cloud services
- Experience with data processing engines (we use Beam)
- A background in data structures and large-scale data manipulation
- Familiarity with information retrieval theory and practical applications of it
Nice to Have, but not Mandatory
- Work or academic experience in the life sciences
- Experience with Kubernetes in production
- Experience with Infrastructure-as-code
- Experience with technical design and applying architectural patterns
- Experience with statistical analysis of large datasets
- Machine learning fundamentals and ML Ops knowledge
Benefits and Perks:
An engaging remote-first culture
A great compensation package that includes BenchSci equity options
15 days vacation plus an additional day every year; plus company closures for 15 more days throughout the year
Unlimited flex time for sick days, personal days, religious holidays
Comprehensive health and dental benefits Emphasis on mental health with $2500 CAD* for Psychologist, Social Worker, or Psychotherapist services
A $2000 CAD* Annual Learning & Development budget
A $1000 CAD* home office set-up budget
A $2500 CAD*wellness, lifestyle and productivity spending account for employees
Generous parental leave benefits with a top-up plan or paid time off options
*Benefits are tied to Canadian dollar amounts and would be converted to local currency for those in other countries. Moving to local currency allotments in the future.
BenchSci's mission is to exponentially increase the speed and quality of life-saving research and development. We empower scientists to run more successful experiments with the world's most advanced, biomedical artificial intelligence software platform.
Backed by Generation Investment Management, TCV, Inovia, F-Prime, Golden Ventures, and Google's AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for scientists that accelerates research at 16 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We're a certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
BenchSci relentlessly builds on its strong foundation of culture. We put team members first, knowing that they're the organization's beating heart. We invest as much in our people as our products. Our culture fosters transparency, collaboration, and continuous learning.
We value each other's differences and always look for opportunities to embed equity into the fabric of our work. We foster diversity, autonomy, and personal growth, and provide resources to support motivated self-leaders in continuous improvement.
You will work with high-impact, highly skilled, and intelligent experts motivated to drive impact and fulfill a meaningful mission. We empower you to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and thrive. Here you will be challenged to stretch yourself to achieve the seemingly impossible. Learn more about our culture.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: We're committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. We believe that improving diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility, and this belief guides our DEI journey. Learn more about our DEI initiatives.
Accessibility Accommodations: Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.