Machine Learning Engineer
Toronto, Ontario /
Engineering – Machine Learning /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are looking for a Machine Learning Engineer to join our growing R&D team. You will work on challenging machine learning problems across both NLP and Computer Vision that will have an impact on the 31,000+ life-scientists across the world who rely on BenchSci for their research. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, R&D, you’ll apply your domain expertise to select, train, and deploy the best-suited machine learning algorithms. In this role, you will collaborate and experiment with scientists as you apply state-of-the-art techniques to build solutions that will shape the future of scientific discovery.
- Continuously improve the performance and scalability of ML models and pipelines that are at the core of BenchSci’s products
- Contribute to key components across the machine learning ecosystem defining BenchSci’s ML Technical Roadmap
- Regularly investigate what technologies will best allow BenchSci to effectively identify experimental insights through proof-of-concepts
- Work with BenchSci's Chief Science Officer to correctly capture the nuances of biology, effectively translating them into machine learning objectives
- Advocate for code and engineering process improvements across your team, and help to establish best practices based on personal industry experience and research
- Participate in sprint planning, estimations, and reviews
- Work with teammates to ensure high-quality deliverables
- 3+ years of experience working as a professional developer, with at least 2 years of this focused on machine learning
- A Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or other closely-related discipline
- Excellent software engineering skills in Python
- Appreciation for the end-to-end machine learning lifecycle, including the nuances of the infrastructure and operations
- Working experience with NLP and/or Computer Vision fundamentals
- Strong experience with TensorFlow, PyTorch, Scikit-learn, and image processing libraries such as OpenCV and Scikit-image
- Experience with distributed data processing frameworks such as Apache Spark or Apache Beam
- A constant desire to grow and learn new skills
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- Research publications in ML/AI-related fields
- Experience productionalizing ML models
- Background in Life Science (cell biology, molecular biology, genetics, immunology, microbiology)
- Experience in bioinformatics
- Familiarity with reference architectures on Google Cloud Platform
- Familiarity with modern container orchestration systems such as Kubernetes
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options in the company
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan: All employees get the “executive treatment”
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health tools and support: Optional mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe: Find out what your DNA says about your health, traits, and ancestry
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week: Get 15 days to use anytime, and we’re closed Dec 25-Jan 1
- Additional days off: Company summer day, your birthday, and earn +1 vacation day annually
- Work from anywhere flexibility: Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym: Keep fit, conveniently, with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package: Including health and dental
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.