Tech Lead, Machine Learning
Toronto, Ontario /
Engineering – Machine Learning /
BenchSci exponentially increases the speed and quality of life-saving research by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime and Google’s AI fund, Gradient Ventures, BenchSci uses machine learning to diagnose pharmaceutical R&D health from hidden patterns in procurement data. A turnkey application of AI with immediate, quantifiable impact, BenchSci now optimizes reagent procurement and experimental success in 15 of the top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers globally.
We are seeking a Tech Lead to join our Machine Learning team. The ideal candidate for this role is passionate about solving problems in NLP and has a great appreciation for science. To be successful in this position, you will need to be comfortable leading the development of creative solutions while being results-oriented, honest and fast to act.
What you will be doing:
- Continuously improve the performance and scalability of ML models that are at the core of BenchSci’s products
- Leading and providing technical direction for BenchSci’s ML team
- Regularly investigating what technologies will best enable BenchSci to effectively generate use cases
- Work with BenchSci's Chief Science Officer to correctly capture the nuances of biology
- Advocate for code and process improvements across your team, and help to define best practices based on personal industry experience and research
- Participate in sprint planning, estimation and reviews.
- Take ownership of deliverables, and work with teammates to ensure high-quality deliverables
Who we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Mathematics
- 2+ years of tech lead experience
- Strong experience with NLP
- Experience with computer vision problems
- Strong experience with TensorFlow, PyTorch, and image processing libraries such as OpenCV and scikit-image
- Experience with data processing frameworks
- A constant desire to grow and develop
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills
- A team player who strives to see teammates succeed together
Bonus points for experience with:
- Research publications in ML/AI-related fields
- Experience productionalizing ML models
- Background in Life Science (cell biology, molecular biology, genetics, immunology, microbiology)
- Experience in bioinformatics
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.