Engineering Manager - Science Tools
Toronto, Ontario /
Engineering – Data /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are currently seeking an Engineering Manager to join our internal Science Tools team. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, Data & DevOps, you will be responsible for planning and delivery, as well as the mentoring and coaching of software engineers. You will work closely with a product owner biologist to build and execute a long-term roadmap as the analytic needs of our scientists continue to grow.
- Own and drive execution of the technical roadmap
- Take a leadership role in our recruiting, hiring, and onboarding processes
- Manage the growth and development of all engineers on your team
- Help improve the processes and patterns of interfacing with multiple teams
- Be accountable for the overall delivery of new features and products – ensuring quality of code and commitment to timelines
- Work with the product owner to gather and refine requirements, and see development through to QA, deployment, and ongoing maintenance
- You will help prioritize work for your team, making difficult tradeoffs on design based on business constraints
- Ensure on-time deliverables and high-quality software
- Help scientists to solve challenging problems quickly
- 5+ years of experience working as a professional developer, including experience building data-intensive websites
- 2+ years of experience working as an engineering team manager
- Work experience or an academic background in Life Sciences
- Experience contributing to and managing roadmaps, project plans, and commitments
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- The ability to balance delivering on ambitious projects with fostering positive team dynamics
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills
- A track record of delivering projects from cross-functional teams
- Experience with the Scrum methodology
- Experience with web frameworks such as Django
- Software engineering experience in Python
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- Experience with data processing engines such Spark or Beam
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options in the company
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan: All employees get the “executive treatment”
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health tools and support: Optional mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe: Find out what your DNA says about your health, traits, and ancestry
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week: Get 15 days to use anytime, and we’re closed Dec 25-Jan 1
- Additional days off: Company summer day, your birthday, and earn +1 vacation day annually
- Work from anywhere flexibility: Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym: Keep fit, conveniently, with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package: Including health and dental
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
BenchSci is committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. The work and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility. That fundamental belief will guide us along our diversity, equity, and inclusion journey. We are just at the beginning, we will experience moments of discomfort and we may stumble along the way but we are committed to continuously improving and creating equitable and systemic change.
BenchSci provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.