Software Engineer - Data Pipeline
Toronto or Remote (Canada) /
Engineering – Data /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are currently seeking a Software Engineer to join our growing Data Pipeline Team! Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will work on evolving our data models in several styles of datastores, improve internal tooling to allow data self-service, and operationalize production-grade data pipelines. As part of this role, you’ll have an opportunity to collaborate with a world-class team, experience growth and mentorship, and apply state-of-the-art data engineering solutions that will shape the future of scientific discovery.
- Scale data pipelines to allow data to go from research to platform as fast as possible
- Develop data access mechanisms for downstream applications consumption
- Manage sources which contain both semi-structured as well as unstructured data
- Develop and apply suitable frameworks to detect data drift, and then calibrate and redeploy them to production seamlessly
- Collaborate closely with other engineers to solve interesting and challenging data problems
- Provide troubleshooting analysis and resolution in a timely manner
- Have opportunities to work both independently and in pair-programming settings
- Work with a highly collaborative team
- Be given an unmatched opportunity for growth and development, and to learn from a team of outstanding engineers
- Manage your code by troubleshooting, debugging, and fixing issues
- Design testable, scalable solutions to complex problems using the latest frameworks and tools
- Feel challenged and engaged as you’re exposed to new opportunities that will require you to push yourself
- 3+ years working as a professional developer
- Experience in Python
- Experience with SQL
- Experience with cloud reference architectures and developing specialized stacks on cloud services
- Experience with Spark 2.x or Pandas
- Eagerness to share your own ideas and openness to those of others
- An interest in working with the latest tools and technologies available
- The desire to see constant improvement in both yourself and your team
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- A background in Life Science
- Experience with Kubernetes in production
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options in the company
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan: All employees get the “executive treatment”
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health tools and support: Optional mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe: Find out what your DNA says about your health, traits, and ancestry
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week: Get 15 days to use anytime, and we’re closed Dec 25-Jan 1
- Additional days off: Company summer day, your birthday, and earn +1 vacation day annually
- Work from anywhere flexibility: Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym: Keep fit, conveniently, with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package: Including health and dental
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
BenchSci is committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. The work and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility. That fundamental belief will guide us along our diversity, equity, and inclusion journey. We are just at the beginning, we will experience moments of discomfort and we may stumble along the way but we are committed to continuously improving and creating equitable and systemic change.
BenchSci provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.