Machine Learning Engineer - NLP
Toronto, Ontario /
Engineering – Machine Learning /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are seeking a Machine Learning Engineer to join our growing R&D team. You will work on complex and challenging NLP problems that will have an impact on the 31,000+ life-scientists across the world who rely on BenchSci for their research. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, R&D, you’ll apply your domain expertise to build advanced machine learning algorithms, collaborate and experiment with software engineers, and apply state-of-the-art solutions that will shape the future of scientific discovery.
- Build innovative ML models that enhance the speed and quality of life-saving research
- Collaborate with software engineers to solve the complex challenges of extracting insights from the experiments in biomedical data
- Continuously improve the performance and scalability of predictive models and ML-Ops pipelines that are at the core of BenchSci’s products
- Push the envelope of research in NLP
- Regularly investigate what technologies will best enable BenchSci to effectively extract descriptions of biological experiments
- Work with BenchSci's Chief Science Officer to correctly capture the nuances of biology
- Continuously push to improve your team and their processes
- Participate in sprint planning, estimation, and reviews
- Take ownership of deliverables, and work with teammates to ensure they are high-quality
- 3+ years of experience working as a professional developer, with at least 2 years of this focused on machine learning
- A Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or other closely-related discipline
- Extensive experience with NLP
- Strong experience with TensorFlow, PyTorch, Scikit-learn, and NLP/Text libraries such as NLTK and Spacy
- Experience with data processing frameworks
- A constant desire to learn new things and grow with your team
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- Research publications in ML/AI-related fields
- Experience productionalizing ML models
- Background in life science (cell biology, molecular biology, genetics, immunology, microbiology)
- Experience in bioinformatics
- Experience with computer vision problems
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options in the company
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan: All employees get the “executive treatment”
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health tools and support: Optional mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe: Find out what your DNA says about your health, traits, and ancestry
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week: Get 15 days to use anytime, and we’re closed Dec 25-Jan 1
- Additional days off: Company summer day, your birthday, and earn +1 vacation day annually
- Work from anywhere flexibility: Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym: Keep fit, conveniently, with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package: Including health and dental
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.