Toronto, Ontario /
Engineering – Engineering /
BenchSci exponentially increases the speed and quality of life-saving research by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime and Google’s AI fund, Gradient Ventures, BenchSci uses machine learning to diagnose pharmaceutical R&D health from hidden patterns in procurement data. A turnkey application of AI with immediate, quantifiable impact, BenchSci now optimizes reagent procurement and experimental success in 15 of the top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers globally.
As a Principal Engineer at BenchSci, you will work closely with the engineering team, along with the company leadership in sales and science. In this role you will develop technical strategies to ensure that BenchSci’s infrastructure and codebase will be able to support our long-term growth plans. The Principal Engineer will make an impact by fostering growth and development of other individual contributors, while also playing a key role in hiring future world-class BenchSci engineers.
In this role, you will:
- Collaborate with multiple teams working on key customer features and our own significant internal development projects
- Play a key role in setting technical and architectural direction for our engineering teams, with a focus on expanding the scope of our products and our ability to make life scientists more effective
- Drive the architecture of BenchSci to handle data securely and accurately
- Evaluate white papers on changes to our architecture and technical stack
- Decouple work done by teams to more readily allow for more independent work and smaller feature releases
- Pursue your own excellence while raising the level of the teams you support
- Be an inspiring mentor and coach to engineers at BenchSci
- Act as a champion and advocate for the company and its teams through various channels
We’re looking for people who are:
- Able to drive the engineering team towards the decisions they make while minimizing friction
- Able to translate business concerns into technical implementations
- Skilled in coaching and mentoring technical teams
- Skilled in general full stack development
- Able to communicate trade offs in approaches to security, speed to ship, and performance
- Able to effectively provide constructive feedback to other individual contributors
- 10+ of professional development experience
- 3+ years experience at a Staff Engineer level or higher
- Experience working with SaaS products and successful delivery of a product to production in the past
- Strong general programming expertise and successful delivery of at least one major project in a domain space that is relevant to BenchSci
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.