Toronto, Ontario /
Operations – Finance /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are looking for a Financial Analyst to join our Finance Team. You will report to the Financial Controller.
- Support our annual budgeting and monthly forecasting process.
- Assemble financial data to prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual forecasts, and provide essential analytics, analyses, and summaries.
- Perform monthly variance analysis of actuals vs. budget/forecast, communicating insights in addition to providing recommendations to the forecast moving forward.
- Monitor key metrics to identify trends and work with the Head of Finance on opportunities to develop the business.
- Help prepare presentations to support monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting to senior leadership and our Board of Directors.
- Partner with our Controller and Staff Account to organize and influence the accuracy and effectiveness of our financial reporting; in particular, support the month-end close process to ensure completeness of revenue and expenses in addition to meeting close timelines.
- Help develop and execute processes to support routine analytical reviews of the company's financial and operational performance, using the team's available resources.
- Support the Head of Finance on multiple financial activities and projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- 1 or more years of experience in an FP&A or Accounting role.
- Financial modeling experience, including income statement, balance sheet and cash flow.
- Strong knowledge of Finance and Accounting concepts.
- Advanced Excel skills with an emphasis on proficiency with lookups and pivots.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Google G-suite products.
- Experience working with accounting system exports and reports and the ability to learn new tools quickly.
- An “ownership” mindset, with the capacity to identify and propose solutions to resolve challenges independently or as part of a team.
- An understanding of the value of keeping priorities in order and building processes that are easy to understand,
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan (everyone gets the "executive treatment")
- Effectiveness coaching for managers including onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health support including mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week (we're closed Dec 25-Jan 1)
- Additional days off such as BenchSci summer day, your birthday, and more.
- Work from anywhere flexibility. Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym to keep fit with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package including health, dental and vision care.
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.