Senior Software Engineer - Core Infrastructure
Toronto, Ontario /
Engineering – Core Infrastructure /
BenchSci exponentially increases the speed and quality of life-saving research by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime and Google’s AI fund, Gradient Ventures, BenchSci uses machine learning to diagnose pharmaceutical R&D health from hidden patterns in procurement data. A turnkey application of AI with immediate, quantifiable impact, BenchSci now optimizes reagent procurement and experimental success in 15 of the top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers globally.
We are currently seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our Core Infrastructure Team. Reporting into the Director of Data Engineering, you will work on incorporating and extending tools to help us operationalize our production stack.
- Build internal tools and controls for all engineering teams
- Extend existing monitoring and alerting solutions for production systems
- Automate our cloud architecture via state-of-the-art declarative configuration management solutions so BenchSci can scale to meet user needs and recover from disaster events
- Collaborate closely with other engineering teams to solve problems relating to reliability and deployment systems architecture
- Identify and resolve security and audit issues relating to GCP and AWS
- Develop best practices for security, scalability, and operational efficiency
- 5+ years working as a professional developer
- Strong experience in any programming language (experience with Python would be great, but it's not required)
- A strong background in computer science fundamentals including algorithms, data structures, software design, and ability to audit third-party code
- Experience with configuration management on public cloud providers
- Experience with cloud reference architectures and developing specialized stacks on cloud services (GCP and Kubernetes preferred)
- A strong interest in operationalizing distributed systems
- Experience troubleshooting production issues and being part of PagerDuty schedules (only during business hours)
- Any experience with networking would be great, but it's not required
You’ll also need to have expertise in at least one of the following areas:
- Large-scale distributed systems
- Large-scale cloud migrations
- Cloud security
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options in the company
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan: All employees get the “executive treatment”
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health tools and support: Optional mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe: Find out what your DNA says about your health, traits, and ancestry
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week: Get 15 days to use anytime, and we’re closed Dec 25-Jan 1
- Additional days off: Company summer day, your birthday, and earn +1 vacation day annually
- Work from anywhere flexibility: Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym: Keep fit, conveniently, with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package: Including health and dental
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.