Toronto, Ontario /
R&D – R&D /
BenchSci's vision is to bring medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We're doing this by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime, Gradient Ventures (Google’s AI fund), and Inovia Capital, our platform accelerates science at 15 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading research centers worldwide. We're a CIX Top 10 Growth company, certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are looking for an R&D Engineer to join our growing team! Reporting to the Chief Science Officer, you will work closely with various key stakeholders at the cutting edge of BenchSci to build proof-of-concepts and prototypes to solve challenging problems in bioinformatics. In this role, you will guide the successful execution of these prototypes into production-grade systems, which in turn will directly impact the 31,000+ life-scientists across the world who use our platform to fuel their research.
- Review areas for advancement with our Chief Science Officer and Chief Data Officer to evolve BenchSci’s platform with a unique lens on our vision
- Help set technical and architectural direction for our engineering teams with a focus on expanding the scope of our products and our ability to make life-scientists more effective
- Conduct hands-on experiments and build POCs rapidly to validate designs and solutions
- Guide the development of a prototype into a mature, production-grade system within our data ecosystem, working with the machine learning and data engineering teams
- Collaborate closely with ML and data engineers to solve interesting problems concerning document mining and information retrieval
- Employ best practices for a broad platform of technologies within a cloud-based environment
- Work on projects involving some of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world
- Have opportunities to work both independently and in pair-programming settings
- Advocate for code and engineering process improvements across your team, and help to establish best practices based on personal industry experience and research
- 3+ years of software engineering experience
- A Master’s degree in neuroimaging, computational biology, or a closely related discipline
- A strong understanding of problems that involve the 3 V’s of big data
- Experience building compelling POCs
- Experience with software engineering practices and systems architecture
- A passion for getting hands-on with technologies and coding extensively in solo and paired settings
- Familiarity with common reference architectures in ML and data engineering
- A keen desire to work on complex and ambiguous problems
- Experience working with and navigating distributed, varied datasets both structured and unstructured
- A solid understanding of machine learning lifecycle in production systems
Nice to haves, but not mandatory qualifications:
- Experience working in a startup, directly with founders and executives
- Experience working in hybrid infrastructures that involve both on-premise and cloud components
Our benefits and perks:
- A compensation package that includes equity options in the company
- An annual Executive Health Assessment at Medcan: All employees get the “executive treatment”
- Effectiveness coaching for managers: Onsite, personalized coaching from a trained clinical psychologist
- Mental health tools and support: Optional mindfulness sessions and a free Headspace account
- Complimentary genome sequencing from 23andMe: Find out what your DNA says about your health, traits, and ancestry
- Three weeks of vacation, plus another week: Get 15 days to use anytime, and we’re closed Dec 25-Jan 1
- Additional days off: Company summer day, your birthday, and earn +1 vacation day annually
- Work from anywhere flexibility: Every day right now, and up to 4 days per week once we return to the office
- An onsite gym: Keep fit, conveniently, with a Peloton and other great equipment
- A great benefits package: Including health and dental
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
BenchSci is committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. The work and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility. That fundamental belief will guide us along our diversity, equity, and inclusion journey. We are just at the beginning, we will experience moments of discomfort and we may stumble along the way but we are committed to continuously improving and creating equitable and systemic change.
BenchSci provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.