Senior Data Engineer
Toronto, Ontario /
Engineering – Data /
BenchSci exponentially increases the speed and quality of life-saving research by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime and Google’s AI fund, Gradient Ventures, BenchSci uses machine learning to diagnose pharmaceutical R&D health from hidden patterns in procurement data. A turnkey application of AI with immediate, quantifiable impact, BenchSci now optimizes reagent procurement and experimental success in 15 of the top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers globally.
We are currently seeking a Senior Data Engineer to join our Data Team. As part of the job, you will work on evolving our data models in several styles of datastores, improve internal tooling to allow data self-service, and operationalize production-grade data pipelines.
What you’ll do:
- Scale data pipelines to allow data to go from research to platform as fast as possible
- Develop data access mechanisms for downstream applications consumption
- Model and maintain the data integrity of the System of Records
- Manage sources which contain both semi-structured as well as unstructured data
- Develop and apply suitable frameworks to detect data drift, and then calibrate and redeploy them to production seamlessly
- Collaborate closely with other engineers to solve interesting and challenging data problems
Who we’re looking for:
- 5+ years working as a professional developer
- Experience with SQL
- Experience with cloud reference architectures and developing specialized stacks on cloud services
- Expertise in Spark 2.x, Dataset/DataFrame API and performance tuning
- Experience with R or Pandas
- You have strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills
- A team player who strives to see teammates succeed together
Bonus points for:
- Background in Life Science
- Experience in Python
- Experience with Airflow or other workflow management systems in a distributed setup
- Experience with graph data modeling and scaling graph databases
- Experience with Kubernetes in production
- Experience with microservice architecture patterns
What’s in it for you:
- Competitive salary with company benefits from day one
- Dedicated learning and development budget (conferences, courses, etc.)
- An opportunity to help transform and improve scientific research with a fun, energetic, and supportive team
- Quarterly team events, annual retreats, and regular lunch and learns
- Fully stocked kitchen with healthy snacks
- Onsite gym and showering facilities
- Casual dress code in a creative office environment (we have our own botanist!)
- Office located in the heart of downtown Toronto (College/Bathurst)
Here at BenchSci, these are our core values:
Focused: We focus on what will drive the greatest impact at all times.
Advancement: We believe in continuous growth, and discovering new ways to do things better. This applies to our product and business, but also to ourselves.
Speed: We recognize that without a sense of urgency, our team, our product and our mission lose their value.
Tenacity: What we’re trying to do isn’t easy, but we hire the best people, and give them the autonomy, tools, and resources to succeed. The hard work is up to them.
Transparency: We believe that sharing diverse ideas and information creates strong teams. Our success stems from research, collaboration, feedback, and trust.
BenchSci is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment. All four of our cofounders are immigrants to Canada, as are many of our employees. We welcome your fresh perspectives and ideas.