Chief Engineer (TS/SCI with CI Poly)
Multiple (Reston, VA & Bethesda, MD)
Consulting - Technical Solutions
TITLE: Chief Engineer
Primary Location: Reston, VA or Bethesda, MD (candidate choice)
Clearance: Top Secret/SCI (CI Poly Preferred)
Education/Experience: Bachelors in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Mathematics or other relevant science/mathematics field with 10+ years experience, or Masters in Computer Science, Software Engineering Mathematics or other relevant science/mathematics field with 8+ years experience.
Are you a talented, professional and opinionated Chief Engineer with leadership experience? Are you looking for a highly visible role with senior decision makers, where you have the opportunity to make an immediate impact as the lead of a high performing team? If so, we would like to speak with you!
This role provides a unique opportunity to exercise engineering oversight, maintain hands-on experience with the latest technologies, and have regular interaction with senior customers and decision-makers as a Technical Subject Matter Expert.
We are the prime contractor on a 5-year program, leading an interdisciplinary project team of roughly 30+ highly qualified individuals that is comprised of client/server/database/systems developers and engineers, testers, UI/UX designers, and requirements managers. We are responsible for building next generation Mission Information Systems for an exciting Government customer with a very critical mission. We are performing greenfield Software Development using modern technologies via an Agile DevOps approach: ReactJS, Java, Spring, microservices, .NET Core 2, C#, Docker, Jenkins, and Hadoop among others. Our integration and test environments are running in Amazon Web Services (AWS). And we are supporting our customer’s migration to the C2S and SC2S AWS environments by performing cloud-native application development. We are also maintaining a set of legacy systems until the modern applications are ready for cutover, which will take place in phased releases over the next year. For these, we are performing brownfield development and tier-3 operations and maintenance.
Berico is not your ordinary, stuffy Washington DC Government Contractor. As a small business, Berico is more like a family. We work out of a new modern/industrial office. We are an AWS Standard Partner, and a Cloudera Silver Partner. We love DevOps, and leverage the latest open source technologies. We manage our own open source project: CLAVIN. We only hire the best people who share our intense passion for staying current with software development standards and delivery. We care about work/life balance, and have regular company gatherings. We play board games and XBox in the office to clear our minds. We are a recognized innovator by the Northern Virginia Technology Council (NVTC). We are a two-time Best Places to Work awardee. We have unparalleled benefits for health, vision and dental, and support flexible work hours. We will sponsor up to $5k in annual training & certifications on technologies we use and want to build competencies in, and provide free access to learning materials like Linux Academy. We send high-performers to conferences. Come work with us, and you’ll be empowered to make an impact; you’ll have the freedom and flexibility to grow professionally and to take the company in new directions. We’re very excited to identify the best fit for our team, solve hard problems, and geek out!
- Experience in a lead developer role. Must be well versed on software engineering principles, design patterns and best practices.
- Must have well formed opinions on software design and architecture.
- Many years experience across the SDLC, designing, developing and delivering solutions to Government customers.
- Deep experience with at least one object oriented programming language (.NET or Java), and at least one scripting language.
- Experience with open source .NET or Java frameworks.
- Hands on experience with RESTful microservices, service discovery, proxying, queuing, ORM.
- Experience and familiarity with open source projects from Netflix and Apache.
- Hands on experience with at least one prominent relational database, performing data modeling, normalization, DDL, DML, indexing, views, performance, etc.
- Familiarity with NoSQL concepts, use cases, and technology components.
- Experience securing web applications for accreditation.
#WeWantYou - Please do not assume you are unqualified. We want you to apply if you:
- Are team-oriented, and are passionate about delivering great software.
- Are confident and willing to tactfully and respectfully argue for your beliefs.
- Work well in agile devops environments.
- Believe it is never a good idea to maintain application state in Microservices.
- Know the right/wrong circumstances to use in-memory caching, and queuing.
- Think REST is more than just using HTTP as a transport system.
- Know how to pronounce HATEOAS.
- Find the impedance mismatch of OOP and RDBMS annoying.
- Love virtualization and containers, and understand why they are important.
- Believe in Regression Testing, Unit Testing, Code Coverage Reports and Code Vulnerability/Quality Scans.
- Are the type of person who is constantly learning new things.
- Consider Domain Driven Design, IOC, and DI to be close friends of yours.
- Know that Han shot first!
- Experience and familiarity with open source projects from Netflix and Apache, or aptitude to learn them.
- Hands on experience with, or understanding of, RESTful microservices, service discovery, proxying, queuing, ORM.
- Familiarity with AWS managed services, concepts, use cases, and technology components, or a desire to gain more experience with them in a development environment.
- Experience or desire to gain exposure to leading engineers using things like Kubernetes, Jenkins, Selenium, Maven, Spring, and SonarQube
Compensation & Benefits
- Very competitive salary based on qualifications and experience
- Comprehensive, medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage for you and your family.
- 401(k) & 4% match (vested day 1)
- 15 day paid time off (plus 10 Federal holidays)
- Individually focused training paths
- Annual book allowance and online technical and business library subscriptions
- Employer paid parking (at HQ locations)
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Many company happy hours and parties
- Company Sponsored Conferences
- Flexible schedule (Based on supervisor approval)
- Plus Much More!
If you have ever manually invoked garbage collection in .NET or Java (without a reason you are prepared to vigorously defend), please don’t apply :-)
Berico Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities. We emphasize recruiting, hiring, and retaining the most qualified candidates and providing them with the opportunity to meet their potential. We provide an environment where diversity leads to innovation.
Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED