Field Service Engineer, East Coast
Boston, MA /
Service and Support /
Here at Berkeley Lights, we think cells are awesome! Cells are capable of manufacturing cures for diseases, fibers for clothing, energy in the form of biofuels, and food proteins for nutrition. So the question is, if nature is capable of manufacturing the products we need in a scalable way, why aren’t we doing more of this? Well, the answer is that with the solutions available today, it is hard. Berkeley Lights is here to change all of that! Our extremely sophisticated proprietary technology and Beacon® and LightningTM systems accelerate the rate researchers can discover and develop cell-based products in a fraction of the time and at a fraction of the cost of conventional, legacy research methods. Using our tools and solutions, scientists can find the best cells, the first time they look.
Our goal is to continue to collaborate with customers to drive the adoption of our technologies, making cell-based products and therapeutics more easily accessible the world over! You will play a major role here in the customer support and maintenance of these technologies, and our success will depend on you! We have been changing how the world develops cell-based products since 2011, and now our family of around 200 employees welcomes you to consider joining us on this incredible journey.
Berkeley Lights is expanding its customer base in the the Great Boston Area. We are seeking an exceptional candidate for the position of Field Service Engineer to join our Operations, Service & Support team as we scale across the Midwest territory. The candidate will be responsible for the installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, upgrading and repairing of a rapidly evolving life science technology platform. In this role, this engineer will closely work with internal stakeholder and external customers to support systems in house and in the field. This candidate should have excellent communication and customer service skills as well as experience working with complex lab automation equipment. This is a great position for quick and adaptable learners who would love to work at a budding startup company with the opportunity to contribute to the growth of a world class service and support organization!
- Coordinate platform installation process including: customer facilities inspection, instrument installation, platform validation and execution of quality verification tests.
- Perform routine maintenance and repair on complex instruments comprised of sophisticated electromechanical software, microscopy, optics, liquid handling and computing components.
- Provide technical support and troubleshooting guide to support customer platform instrumentation, software and workflows.
- Document in-house and in-field repair instructions and best practices.
- Participate in engineering design reviews to drive platform serviceability requirements.
- 2-5 years of experience as a technician or engineer working with complex electromechanical, optical, micro/nanofludics platforms.
- Strong electrical, mechanical, and software troubleshooting skills.
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment maintaining production equipment.
- Experience with hand and power tools and common test equipment, including multi-meters, oscilloscopes and soldering tools.
- Ability to learn and troubleshoot component level failures in large scale instruments.
- Comfortable working in fast paced, dynamic, start-up tech company environment..
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Vigorous sense of workmanship, quality, pride, craft, and aesthetics of your work.
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service.
- Willing to travel domestically and internationally for installation, service, and upgrades (up to 75%).
- Ability to lift up to 75lb.
- Experience in biotech, life science, or semiconductor industry.
- Experience servicing complex microscopy systems, DNA sequencers or well-plate scanners, including scientific cameras, lenses, and filters.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) is effective January 1, 2020. Please read our California Consumer Privacy Act Disclosure Form regarding the CCPA and Berkeley Lights’ required disclosures about the collection of personal information.