Scala Backend Software Engineer
Technology – Engineering /
Leading the mobility services revolution!
Are you passionate about the potential for technology to reinvent transportation, reduce congestion and pollution while improving the quality of life for commuters and travelers around the world? That’s what we’re doing at Bestmile, building the world’s first Mobility Services Platform that streamlines and automates manned and autonomous vehicle fleets, making public and private transportation safe, efficient, and accessible to all.
Still reading? Great! At Bestmile, we’re passionate about making an impact, and we believe that our employees are our most valuable asset. It’s the people who ultimately determine the impact that can be made. That’s why creating a culture based on trust, respect, and communication that empowers our employees is our top priority. Our global team consists of people from 23 nationalities working together in Lausanne, Switzerland and San Francisco, California in the United States.
We are looking for a Scala backend software engineer who is passionate about developing technology that will shape the future of mobility. You will be collaborating with other engineers to design and build a reactive SaaS platform that is acting as the control tower to orchestrate thousands of autonomous vehicles in providing transportation services.
What you will be doing:
- Design and implement high quality and maintainable reactive solutions to solve complex technical challenges to shape the future of mobility.
- Deliver high quality software by paying strong attention to API design, automated tests, scalability and resilience.
- Build Scala based microservices that communicate with other systems via REST APIs and/or Kafka-like events.
- Maintain continuous delivery for our applications, working with CodeFresh, automating pipelines to deploy to Kubernetes clusters hosted in AWS.
- Participate in the whole software development lifecycle in an agile team: helping the product specialists with requirements, UX discussions, sprint planning and retrospectives.
- Proactively share knowledge and learn from your peers.
What we are looking for:
- Academic background in computer science or applied mathematics (BSc or MSc).
- Strong sense of ownership, passionate, fast learner, detail oriented.
- At least 5 years' hands-on experience in software development.
- Advanced engineering experience in using Scala in the functional way.
- Strong DevOps mindset with practical knowledge of Docker, CI/CD: you are not afraid of deploying and operating your applications.
- Significant experience in building distributed systems with microservices and asynchronous messaging.
- Excellent analytical skills, agile mindset, curious and proactive when it comes to software trends and practices.
- Experience with Scala frameworks and libraries such as Akka, Akka-streams, Circe, Slick, etc.
- Experience in building, deploying and operating distributed systems in a cloud environment, particularly with Kubernetes and AWS.
- Operational mindset and strive to constantly improve the reliability of the system.
Equal Employment Opportunity
As a growing, global company with offices around the world, Bestmile is proud to support diversity and equality. It is the policy of Bestmile to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.