Test Engineer | Beta Test
South Burlington, VT
ENGINEERING – Beta Test /
Full Time Exempt /
At Beta Technologies, together we apply our intellectual curiosity, passion for aviation, and commitment to sustainability toward a shared mission of revolutionizing electric aviation. Regardless of the position one holds, each team member brings their talent and desire to positively impact the environment and lives of others in a refreshing, vibrant, and inclusive culture.
The Test Engineer will create test setups to validate the structural characteristics of primary and secondary aircraft structures (metallic and composite) by working closely with the aircraft design teams to capture the nuances of aircraft design loads and operating conditions. The selected candidate will have to develop formal test procedures, instrumentation plans, test stand/fixture designs, data acquisition architectures, and any other necessary tools to allow for thorough and repeatable testing. It will be under the selected candidate's responsibility to ensure and confirm data collected during the tests are accurate and complete.
How you will contribute to revolutionizing electric aviation:
- Establish test plans, procedures, and implementation plans for complete and ongoing testing of the aircraft structures
- Data analytics collected by the tests will be shared with the engineering teams to enhance designs
- Collaborate on mechanical design, including weldments, of complex assembly/manufacturing drawing plans
- Complete data acquisition techniques, processing, and signal conditioning on sensors
- Design tests to validate structural designs of aircraft structures
- Ability to perform hands-on tests including setting up and executing tests with test hardware and data acquisition
- Keep calibration standards current and ensure calibrations are up to date
- Lead a small team of 3-5 engineers and technicians
Minimum Qualifications we are seeking:
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering with 3 to 5 years of experience
- Experience testing composite structures
- Experience with strain gauges, accelerometers, linear potentiometers, string potentiometers
- Experience with CAD design tools
- Experience leading a team
Above and Beyond Qualifications that will distinguish you:
- 3-5 years experience in the Aerospace or EV industry
- Experience with strain gauges
- Experience with Generative Shape Design, Part Design, and Assembly Design
- Experience with various machine shop tools: lathe, mill, welder
- Rapid prototyping or aircraft building experience
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Ability to ascend and descend ladders and/or stairs
- Ability to position self for inspection including confined, elevated, and loud noise spaces
- Ability to position self to move and/or transfer materials, equipment and/or supplies
- Ability to use tools, equipment, and technology necessary to do the job. This includes dexterity in instrument manipulation
- Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and may involve long portions of time on feet
Each of our backgrounds influences how we evaluate our own abilities. Research reveals that BIPOC, LGBTQ+, women, those from working-class backgrounds, individuals with disabilities, and other marginalized groups may hesitate to apply for roles if they don't meet all the requirements. Many skills can be learned on the job. If you can envision contributing value to our community and meet most criteria, we encourage you to apply.
BETA Technologies provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, place of birth, citizenship, disability, veteran or military status, health coverage status, HIV status, genetic information, crime victim status, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. The company does not discriminate, and will not discriminate, and will not tolerate discrimination, based on any of these characteristics during the application process or in employment.
All offers of employment at BETA Technologies are contingent upon favorable results of a thorough background check.
BETA Technologies is an E-Verify employer.
Please be aware that you may be invited to complete a Video Screening interview. This invite will be sent by email (email@example.com). We highly recommend completing this step of the application process within the following 48 hours should you be invited.
Note: Be sure to check your Junk folder