Electrical Engineer - Power Distribution
South Burlington, VT /
Engineering – 01-7010-400 Battery /
Full Time Exempt
The Power Distribution Electrical Engineer is responsible for owning the development of the 800V DC power distribution system from concept through certification and into production. As an Electrical Engineer at Beta Technologies, you will work in a small team environment to rapidly develop new technologies in the evolving world of eVTOL aircraft design. As an open-minded and outside-the-box thinker, you will perpetually strive to reduce weight and increase the simplicity of the HVDC architecture and all associated components. You will draw from your past industry experience but focus on the new and novel opportunities electric aviation presents. You will utilize any necessary modeling, analysis and physical testing to ensure your designs are meeting the highest safety standards and exceeding all relevant regulatory requirements. You will be challenged every day and probably have a lot of fun.
How you will contribute to revolutionizing electric aviation:
- Own the 800V High Voltage DC Power Distribution architecture, optimizing the design for safety and weight
- Lead the selection of appropriate HV components
- Demonstrate appropriate fuse coordination through short-circuit analysis and testing for all system failure modes
- Coordinate with HV component suppliers to support certification requirements
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with both internal & external customers
- High energy, self-motived, organized and detail-oriented
Minimum Qualifications we are seeking:
- Design focus from an accredited University.
- Minimum 5 years experience in a hands-on Electrical Engineering work environment, with experience in most of the following areas: high voltage DC distribution systems, high voltage battery pack design, DC fuse testing, and failure modes, design for manufacturing
- Experience designing products for certification in a regulated industry – FAA certification experience preferred
- In-depth knowledge of altitude effects on HV insulation
- Self-starter that is well organized, disciplined, a team player, and well-versed in HV DC systems.
- Good team, communication and leadership skills required.
- Google G -Suite including drive, mail, calendar, docs, sheets, slides, charts, hangouts; slack, application lifecycle
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Please be aware that you may be invited to complete a Video Screening interview. This invite will be sent by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). We highly recommend completing this step of the application process within the following 48 hours should you be invited.
Note: Be sure to check your Junk folder
BETA Technologies provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, place of birth, citizenship, disability, veteran or military status, health coverage status, HIV status, genetic information, crime victim status, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. The company does not discriminate, and will not discriminate, and will not tolerate discrimination, based on any of these characteristics during the application process or in employment.
All offers of employment at BETA Technologies are contingent upon favorable results of a thorough background check.
BETA Technologies is an E-Verify employer.