Sr. Composite Designer - Structures
Montreal, QC /
Engineering – Structures /
Full Time Exempt
At Beta Technologies, together we apply our intellectual curiosity, passion for aviation, and commitment to sustainability toward a shared mission of revolutionizing electric aviation. Regardless of the position one holds, each team member brings their talent and desire to positively impact the environment and lives of others in a refreshing, vibrant, and inclusive culture.
In this role, you will be responsible for the design of Airframe Structural Primary and Secondary composite parts, from the studies of layout through the Conceptual and Detailed development phases to the flat patterns for manufacturing and support in production. Support to Tooling definition and Supplier continuous support is part of the scope as well.
How you will contribute to revolutionizing electric aviation:
- Utilizes 3DExperience Composites Part Design (CPD) to design and develop 3D models and 2D drawings for composite structures
- Selects the optimal CPD methodology depending on manufacturing constraints (AFP vs ATL vs HLU)
- Has a strong understanding of composite materials and their properties
- Collaborates with other engineers and designers to ensure projects are completed on time and to specifications
- Make design changes and modifications as required to ensure designs meet industry standards and regulations
- Review and approve designs for production
- Has experience with composite manufacturing processes like Hand lay-up, RTM, Pre-preg, Vacuum Bagging, and Autoclave.
- Having hands-on experience in a production or Research and Development environment is an asset.
- Has a good understanding of GD&T and its application is required.
- Is capable of solving problems in complex situations with minimal supervision.
- Prepares vendor Design packages to Support Supply Chain including drawings, PowerPoint presentations, and exporting neutral format files.
Minimum Qualifications we are seeking:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or another Engineering degree with a strong Mechanical Design focus from an accredited University
- Minimum 10 years of experience in Composites design, preferably in the Aerospace industry
- Knowledge of self-stiffened skins and frames construction and sandwich skins and frame construction is an asset
- Mastery of 3D CAD software (3DExperience or Catia/ENOVIA preferred)
- Experience in most of the following areas of design and test: Composites, Hybrid Composites/Metallic structure
- Self-starter that is well organized, disciplined, team player, communication and leadership skills required
- Google G -Suite including drive, mail, calendar, docs, sheets, slides, charts, hangouts; slack, application lifecycle
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, and handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.