Senior Embedded Software Engineer | Airborne Software
TESTING & AIRWORTHINESS – Airborne Software /
Full Time Exempt
At Beta Technologies, together we apply our intellectual curiosity, passion for aviation, and commitment to sustainability toward a shared mission of revolutionizing electric aviation. Regardless of the position one holds, each team member brings their talent and desire to positively impact the environment and lives of others in a refreshing, vibrant, and inclusive culture.
The Senior Embedded Software Engineer for Airborne Software will apply their deep knowledge of RTCA DO-178C, best practices for real-time safety-critical embedded software development, technical leadership experience, and embedded C mastery to directly contribute to and lead a small team to specify, architect, design, implement and integrate the embedded software for BETA’s airborne systems. The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge of embedded software development, from bare-metal board bring-up and microcontroller timing and execution characteristics to comprehensive software specification and design methods and techniques. The senior embedded software engineer is responsible for developing robust and reliable software to achieve the highest level of safety-criticality in the industry.
How you will contribute to revolutionizing electric aviation:
- Analyze system requirements allocated to software for correctness, feasibility, and appropriateness from an embedded software perspective; propose changes and additional to system requirements to fulfill all airborne software needs
- Develop software high-level requirements to specify the functionality and characteristics of airborne software
- Architect and design the embedded software, considering hardware constraints, design constraints, and available resources to satisfy the software high-level requirements, and specify software low-level requirements
- Develop embedded software in the C and Assembly programming languages for ARM microcontroller targets
- Integrate the software with other software and the target hardware; assist with system integration
- Assess, measure, troubleshoot, and resolve issues with software execution and characteristics such as timing and performance
- Promote the reuse of embedded software and associated life cycle data throughout the Airborne Software team
- Perform peer reviews of other team member's contributions to the software development project
- Inform the software verification team for the appropriate testing and analysis of the embedded software
- Lead a small team of embedded software engineers for the development of software for an airborne system
- Mentor junior engineers by training them on DO-178C objectives, activities, and outputs; real-time and safety-critical embedded software best practices; and integration and troubleshooting methods and techniques
Minimum Qualifications we are seeking:
- BS in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related degree from an accredited university
- Minimum 7 years experience in real-time embedded software development for safety-critical systems
- Excellent requirements engineering and software architecture/design experience
- Mastery of the C programming language
- Knowledge of Texas Instruments Hercules and/or STM ARM microcontrollers, or equivalent
- Comfortable reading electrical schematics, technical documentation, reference manuals, and datasheets
- Deep experience with electronics lab equipment such as programmable power supplies, signal generators, oscilloscopes, and bus analyzers
- Expert level knowledge and experience with the activities and outputs required for DO-178C Level A compliance
- Excellent team communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to work independently, as a member of an integrated team, and as a technical leader of a small team of dedicated software engineers
- Deep knowledge and experience with communications interfaces and devices such as SPI, I2C, CAN, ARINC 429, Analog-to-Digital Converters, Direct Memory Access controllers, and temperature, voltage, and current sensors
- Experience with Stage of Involvement reviews and communication with FAA personnel and DERs
- Experience with RTCA DO-330 tool qualification objectives, activities, and outputs
- Experience with RTCA DO-331 model-based development objectives, activities, and outputs
- Candidates are encouraged to apply even if they don’t meet all minimum qualifications
Above and Beyond Qualifications that will distinguish you:
- Experience with the Texas Instruments TMS570 ARM microcontroller
- Experience with the Lauterbach TRACE32 debug/instruction trace system
- Experience with GNU GCC ARM embedded toolchain and Texas Instruments Code Composer Studio
- Experience with the Polarion ALM life cycle data management system
- Experience with embedded software for electric motor control, battery management systems and/or flight control systems
- Experience with project management activities, such as estimating, tracking, and reporting work; traditional, kanban, and scrum experience
Please be aware that you may be invited to complete a Video Screening interview. This invite will be sent by email (email@example.com). We highly recommend completing this step of the application process within the following 48 hours should you be invited.
Note: Be sure to check your Junk folder
BETA Technologies provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, place of birth, citizenship, disability, veteran or military status, health coverage status, HIV status, genetic information, crime victim status, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. The company does not discriminate, and will not discriminate, and will not tolerate discrimination, based on any of these characteristics during the application process or in employment.
All offers of employment at BETA Technologies are contingent upon favorable results of a thorough background check.
BETA Technologies is an E-Verify employer.