Test Engineer - Propulsion | Motors
South Burlington, VT
ENGINEERING – Engineering Motors /
Full Time Exempt
At Beta Technologies, together we apply our intellectual curiosity, passion for aviation, and commitment to sustainability toward a shared mission of revolutionizing electric aviation. Regardless of the position one holds, each team member brings their talent and desire to positively impact the environment and lives of others in a refreshing, vibrant, and inclusive culture.
The propulsion test engineer is responsible for conducting tests for aircraft electric motors and inverters, and their components. The test engineer will work closely with R&D engineers to create design validation test plans and will lead the execution of these plans. Test engineers who are aircraft or helicopter pilots will also have the opportunity to participate in propulsion focussed flight tests. This is an awesome opportunity to help us revolutionize flight and we promise a fast-paced environment with a lot of fun times.
How you will contribute to revolutionizing electric aviation:
- Perform component, system, and aircraft validation under dynamic and environmental conditions
- Work directly with design engineers to create validation test plans
- Install and troubleshoot test equipment
- Analyze test data and write test reports
- Maintain and improve data analysis tools (matlab)
- Investigate the root cause of failures and help drive product improvement
Minimum Qualifications we are seeking:
- BS in Engineering or equivalent experience and evidence of exceptional ability
- Experience creating and executing design validation plans and test methods to validate performance requirements of mechanical, thermal, and electrical systems
- Experience with the design and implementation of test setups for electrical, mechanical, and thermal performance testing. Familiar with testing equipment such as digital signal generator, oscilloscopes, loadcells, torque cells, thermocouples, airspeed sensors, accelerometers, and other instrumentation
- Experience with Matlab, Labview, Python, or other data acquisition and analysis software
- Ability to understand component & assembly drawings and perform a basic inspection of components for troubleshooting purposes with inspection instruments/gauges
- Well-organized, communicative, disciplined team player with strong attention to detail. Ability to work with minimal supervision and identify strategies to remove roadblocks is paramount. Mental flexibility and the ability to change direction based on new information is an absolute must in our fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with Google G-Suite including drive, mail, calendar, docs, sheets, slides, charts, hangouts; Slack, application lifecycle
Above and Beyond Qualifications that will distinguish you
- Electric motor component/system testing experience
- Rotating machinery testing experience
- Aerospace certification testing
- Experience creating analytical and numerical models of mechanical, thermal, or electrical systems
- Working knowledge of high-voltage equipment
- Working knowledge of heat transfer and thermal management
- Working knowledge of electric drives and motors
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
This position requires handling motors and inverters using cranes and other lifting equipment. It also requires climbing on propeller stands using proper safety equipment to inspect the equipment.
Test engineers must be aware of the acoustic properties of motors and good hearing is required. Good vision is also required to inspect components. The test engineers frequently are required to use their hands or fingers, to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
Test engineers will work around very high voltages and must be able to work safely in that environment. Some of the testing is conducted outside where it may be -40C up to + 50C, and the ability to work at those extreme temperatures is required.
Test programs sometimes require the test engineers to be present during night testing, or participate in atypical work schedules.
Please be aware that you may be invited to complete a Video Screening interview. This invite will be sent by email (email@example.com). We highly recommend completing this step of the application process within the following 48 hours should you be invited.
Note: Be sure to check your Junk folder
BETA Technologies provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, place of birth, citizenship, disability, veteran or military status, health coverage status, HIV status, genetic information, crime victim status, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. The company does not discriminate, and will not discriminate, and will not tolerate discrimination, based on any of these characteristics during the application process or in employment.
All offers of employment at BETA Technologies are contingent upon favorable results of a thorough background check.
BETA Technologies is an E-Verify employer.