Environmental Health and Safety Manager
Quality Assurance /
At Beyond Meat, we started with simple questions. Why do you need an animal to create meat? Why can’t you build meat directly from plants? Thus, we make plant-based meats that allow families to eat more, not less, of the traditional dishes they love while feeling great about the health, sustainability, and animal welfare benefits of plant protein. Our goal is to bring exciting change to the plate—and Beyond.
Beyond Meat’s primary goal is to be the Industry leader in environmental, health, and safety (EHS) management. A positive message needs to be continuously communicated and a course of action needs to be taken to maintain a positive “Safety Culture” throughout Beyond Meat that will cultivate the value of safety to each associate and be practiced at every level throughout the organization. The most valuable asset we have is people, and a relentless effort will be taken to take care of each valued individual on the team.
- Establish EHS goals that are consistent with polices and aligned with the Company vision. Communicate EHS goals, action plans, and results to the organization. Identify opportunities for continuous EHS improvement.
- Review and develop EHS policies and procedures on a regular basis in keeping with best practices. Practice safe working techniques and reinforce the safety policies, guidelines, and procedures. Liaison between management and staff to ensure consistent application and understanding of policies and procedures.
- Maintain and update Standard Operating Procedures and General Manufacturing Practices for all safe work practices and equipment. Ensure the implementation of emergency response and preparedness procedures and monitor effectiveness by undertaking quarterly fire evacuation and tornado drills.
- Chair the Safety Committee and Emergency Response Team.
- Implement an effective system to drive EHS results, update EHS and KPI scores and action plans at least annually, issue all required EHS data timely and accurately, and maintain a current performance profile.
- Responsible for assisting in the identification of possible losses, evaluating the risk in such loss exposure, developing and implementing a plan to correct or prevent a loss, and auditing the plan to ensure effectiveness.
- Ensure contractor personnel working on the property are in compliance with Beyond Meat policies and regulatory requirements.
- Perform and contribute to training program by conducting employee training, emergency response training, and coordination of training programs for the operation.
- Design, implement, and monitor workplace safety audits and ensure any needed changes to promote safety in the work place are implemented. Conduct monthly safety inspections and ensure deficiencies are minimized and corrected.
- Conduct all accident and near-miss investigations, prepare reports, including recommendations to prevent recurrence, implement approved course of action, and manage corrective actions. On-call 24/7 for significant accident response. Maintain accident statistics, analyze trends, and propose and take remedial action where necessary. Responsible for OSHA recordkeeping and reporting.
- Handle all workers’ compensation claims that arise until closure (in conjunction with corporate resources).
- Liaison for OSHA, EPA, DOT, DHS or other State and Federal regulatory agencies and address any audits or issues that may arise. Ensure legal compliance and reduce risk of non-compliance. Keep staff and leadership abreast of any changes in EHS legislation.
- Minimum of five years of experience in Environmental Health and Safety role
- Minimum of five years total food industry or manufacturing experience
- Intermediate computer skills (Microsoft Office) are essential
- Has or willing to obtain Department of Labor OSHA 30-Hour card 9or comparable in local standards)
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional leadership skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail, ability to prioritize duties and duties of others, ability to multi-task, and superior time management skills required
- Intermediate mathematical skills are required
- Dutch is a required first language (proficient in
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee spends time sitting and using a computer, standing to perform training, walking the facility to evaluate compliance, and maintaining a safe, clean, and secure working environment. The employee uses computer, telephone, and office equipment. The employee also regularly lifts and/or moves objects up to 50 pounds. Specific vision requirements of this job include near, distance, and depth perception. Continuous mental and visual attention is required.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee may be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, and chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. Warehouse with limited climate control. 24/7 operation. Position will function in a manufacturing environment with moving trucks, equipment, and scents used in typical food creation (spices and seasonings). The physical demands and work environment characteristics described above are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position will on occasion be required to go to off-site locations. The employee will be required to observe the safety standards of the location. Must be able to travel by plane and automobile.
Beyond Meat is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, gender identify, sexual orientation, national origin, liability for military service, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. If you are interested in learning the status of your application, please note you will be contacted directly by the appropriate human resources contact person if you are selected for further consideration. Beyond Meat reserves the right to defer or close a vacancy at any time.