R&D – Europe - R&D /
At Beyond Meat, we started with simple questions. Why do you need an animal to create meat? Why can’t you build meat directly from plants? Thus, we make plant-based meats that allow families to eat more, not less, of the traditional dishes they love while feeling great about the health, sustainability, and animal welfare benefits of plant protein. Our goal is to bring exciting change to the plate—and Beyond.
The Packaging Engineer reports to the R&D Director. He/she is involved in all aspects of the development of new packaging with a focus on feasibility, development and launch of products within Beyond Meat EMEA. The Packaging Engineer is responsible for updating current and creating new process and packaging specifications for all items in the product list and supports the development of related documentation. The Packaging Engineer advises/contributes to the Marketing Dept for labeling specifications and artwork.
Packaging is a key part of the product costs, key to production efficiencies and must be designed with the consumer experience and sustainability in mind. The position is critical in relation to Beyond Meat's ambition to grow the business.
The job involves multidisciplinary and international project teams (Operations, Purchasing, Marketing and suppliers) on new packaging formats, production effectiveness, standardization and regulatory compliance. The Packaging Engineer is a member of the R&D team and works in close collaboration with the US Beyond Meat packaging team.
Integral parts of this position are tactical, analytical and creative thinking, communicative and management skills, accuracy and external contacts.
30% - Packaging Projects: The Packaging Engineer develops packaging formats against concepts based on project briefs. He/she leads projects on the development of packaging, according to the Beyond Meat NPD process. Since a majority of the packaging development is outsourced, the Packaging Engineer is responsible for managing these outsourced development projects, maintaining specifications against packaging needs, testing and validating new packaging, managing labeling development, and serving as a primary contact (internally and externally) for all packaging matters.
30% - NPD: The Packaging Engineer contributes to the NPD process in a multi-disciplinary and international project team (Marketing, Operations, Supply Chain, Purchasing, R&D team members). The Packaging Engineer sits within R&D and will also be expected to support R&D goals, offering colleagues product development and commercialization support. The Packaging Engineer will be responsible for the timely and accurate completion of documentation relevant to the commercialization process (i.e., process and packaging specifications).
10% - Packaging improvements: The Packaging Engineer supports optimization for production effectiveness of different packaging forms and formats in close co-operation with Operations, Purchasing and suppliers. He/she will focus on packaging standardization by aligning with the Marketing function within Beyond Meat.
10% - Advises Marketing on Labeling Declarations and possible claims in accordance with applicable regulations (national & international) in cooperation with Quality.
10% - Data control of packaging specifications and artwork approvals (function as the second pair of eyes for Marketing).
5% - New packaging technologies: The Packaging Engineer builds knowledge on new packages, production technologies, sustainability and recycling trends and competitors by participating in conferences/courses and by close relationships with suppliers.
5% - New idea generation: The Packaging Engineer explores new packaging opportunities.
● Judge and develop packaging and process specifications in relation to the product and the purpose for use.
● Advises on labeling and designs/artworks in accordance with regulations.
● Delivers within set time-lines on projects.
● Contributes to the success of product development and commercialization projects as a member of the R&D team
● Align Marketing expectations from idea to concept into a feasible development of a packaging.
● Managing the right input from other parties (Innovation, Operations, Quality) on the development of a packaging.
● Working with Engineering/Operations to identify handling requirements & implementation of any new equipment required.
● Validate the quality, shelf-life, and food safety of products packed in new packaging formats
● Provide on-site support for commercialization and/or production trials
Experience & Qualifications
● Education: Bachelors / HBO Packaging or Food Technology (or similar knowledge).
● Experience: preferably 3-5 years Packaging Development experience, relevant in the industry.
● Knowledge: packaging materials, production methods, technologies and equipment, regulatory.
● Skills: excellent communication, advanced computer skills and project management skills.
● Key competencies: entrepreneurial drive, creativity, team player, hands-on, flexible, accurate, assertive and convincing.
● Managing good working relationships with all levels within the organization and with external parties, i.e. suppliers.
● Cost-awareness of the total packaging process and the influence on the cost-price.
● Languages: Dutch, English at native/professional level; any other European language is a plus.
● Location: R&D Center, Ede
● Traveling within The Netherlands (± 15%) to other Beyond Meat sites for project meetings and to suppliers/partners in neighboring EU countries (± 15%) for commercialization and production trials
● Standard hours are (between) 8:30 am – 18:00 pm, Full time 40 hours, Monday – Friday is required.
Beyond Meat is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, gender identify, sexual orientation, national origin, liability for military service, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. If you are interested in learning the status of your application, please note you will be contacted directly by the appropriate human resources contact person if you are selected for further consideration. Beyond Meat reserves the right to defer or close a vacancy at any time.
For all U.S. based roles: Applicants must be authorized to work for a U.S. employer. This role is not eligible for Visa Sponsorship at this time.