R&D – Europe - R&D /
At Beyond Meat, we started with simple questions. Why do you need an animal to create meat? Why can’t you build meat directly from plants? Thus, we make plant-based meats that allow families to eat more, not less, of the traditional dishes they love while feeling great about the health, sustainability, and animal welfare benefits of plant protein. Our goal is to bring exciting change to the plate—and Beyond.
At Beyond Meat, we are focused on raising the bar on talent. We are dedicated to shaping an inclusive culture that drives excellence, innovation, and results by enabling talent acceleration and development, engagement, and the employee experience.
The EMEA R&D Team is a small, but impactful team within Beyond Meat that is responsible for the development and commercialization of products sold in the EMEA region. Their goal is to develop food products customized for the EMEA consumer preferences that continue to lead the market as a gold standard in plant-based proteins. They are looking for an outstanding individual to join the Product Development Team located in Ede, NL as a Product Developer.
This successful, hands-on, self-motivated, creative, team-oriented, resourceful, adaptable, and results-oriented individual will have a keen understanding and practical experience with the ability to think beyond standard methods, independently lead and reach conclusions, plan experiments, and clearly deliver results within a dynamic environment. The Product Developer is responsible for the safe and efficient development, modification, and commercialization of plant-based protein products, samples, processes, and production trials. They have state-of-the-art food technical expertise as evidenced by a body of successful projects and will demonstrate a moderate to high level of independence, leadership, and development expertise.
They will have the opportunity to make an immediate impact on product improvement projects, initiate creative product development, and develop into leadership roles using the skills described herein. The Product Developer candidate must appreciate the value of learning from their mistakes in order to develop a product until success.
The Product Developer is a member of the EMEA R&D Team and reports to the Director of R&D, EMEA. Place of work is the R&D Center in Ede, The Netherlands.
TASKS, DUTIES, & GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the R&D team in attaining short- and long-term product development and commercialization goals, adapting to evolving project priorities
- Assist in product improvement and cost savings projects
- Conduct product formulation scientific tasks under limited supervision including but not limited to batching, developing benchtop formulations using ingredient functionality research, creating and maintaining formula sheet, modifying and improving existing formulations, and formulating/developing/making prototypes daily
- Design and execute experiments, analyze, and interpret data to make sound technical recommendations for specific projects
- Lead and support pilot or production trials to successfully scale-up product innovations and generate trial reports to internal stakeholders
- Develop process specifications and ensure training and transfer of specification knowledge to QA and Operations.
- Make samples for and run sensory tests to assess quality to scaled samples. Develop defined test objectives for sensory qualifications and shelf-life validation
- Assist and lead team with collection, use and analyzation of quantitative data to guide product development; independently adjust formulations when necessary; present data to the leadership team
- Manage and track project logistics for prototyping, materials inventory, prototype shipments to various customers, nutritional analysis, record keeping, and storage
- Maintain a laboratory notebook and provide written and verbal reports of product development activities
- Ensure that strict hygiene and food safety standards are met daily
- Cross-functional collaboration with commercialization, outside vendors, internal teams to ensure success of products and development of Beyond Meat prototypes
- Collaboration with cross-functional teams on implementing new equipment and processes
- Assist in the development and implementation of new product and process technologies
- Support Operations and QA to resolve ingredient, formula, process issues and manage product/process changes. Provide technical support with customer on product information and process capability
- Perform other assigned responsibilities as needed
- Maintain and follow GMP and Lab safety protocol
- Provide general laboratory support, source and purchase ingredient supplies, and share in laboratory cleaning
- Maintain ingredient inventory and service equipment
- Validate, calibrate, and collect data from analytical instruments
- Upload data to appropriate databases and/or spreadsheets
- Education, Technical Skills, and/or Previous Experience
- Academic, Master of Science, Bachelor of Science, HBO, with preferably a specialization in Food Technology or Process and Food Technology (or similar knowledge)
- Demonstrated experience (3 – 7 years) in Product Development within the Food Industry (may or may not be Plant-based) or experience developing a product from bench to scale with a successful launch of product
- Strong verbal, presentation, and written communication skills – strong in Dutch and English, both written and verbal
- Project management skills and experience
- Ability to independently manage multiple projects at the same time
- Strong knowledge of ingredients, production methods and technologies
- Experience with food product packaging is a plus
- Other qualifications
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- The ability to work closely with leadership by communicating ongoing progress updates
- The ability to work in a team environment and be self-directed
- Strong passion for hands-on innovation
- Ability to work with strict deadlines in a highly demanding and dynamic development environment
- Key competencies: entrepreneurial drive, hands-on, creativity, good organoleptic skills, team player, flexible, and managing good working relationships with all levels within the organization
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Position requires the ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and potentially lift up to 25 lbs.
- Position located in a mix of typical laboratory and office environments, and requires a tolerance for, noise, odors, dustand varying room temperatures and lighting
- Able to work in a cold environment for extended periods of time while maintaining food safety protocols
- Frequent travel may be necessary (up to 30% for distance < 100km) and/or travel on non-regular intervals
Beyond Meat is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, gender identify, sexual orientation, national origin, liability for military service, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. If you are interested in learning the status of your application, please note you will be contacted directly by the appropriate human resources contact person if you are selected for further consideration. Beyond Meat reserves the right to defer or close a vacancy at any time.
Please note that Beyond Meat has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. All U.S. employees who (a) physically enter a Beyond Meat facility in the United States, (b) represent Beyond Meat at work-related events, including but not limited to trade shows and product demonstrations, or (c) physically enter customer or potential customer sites in connection with their work for Beyond Meat must take all necessary steps to be Fully Vaccinated as a condition of employment, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved.