Quality Specialist – Pilot Lab
El Segundo, CA /
Quality Assurance /
At Beyond Meat, we started with simple questions. Why do you need an animal to create meat? Why can’t you build meat directly from plants? Thus, we make plant-based meats that allow families to eat more, not less, of the traditional dishes they love while feeling great about the health, sustainability, and animal welfare benefits of plant protein. Our goal is to bring exciting change to the plate—and Beyond.
The Quality Specialist located in our Pilot Lab will be the primary Quality team member responsible for shipping all samples from the Pilot Lab location. S/he is responsible for ensuring accuracy in all labeling and documentation accompanying any sample, as well as ensuring accuracy in the sample being shipped. This role is responsible for ensuring a food safe environment within the Pilot Lab, meeting all local, state and federal regulations as well as Beyond Meat standards. This role is responsible for being a model for employee and food safety, helping to exemplify our company standards.
- Responsible for shipping all samples from the Pilot Lab
- Coordinate and review of pre-shipment documents, shipping samples and other sample requests
- Provide on-site QA support including pre-operational inspection of equipment, ATP swabbing and ensure GMP’s are being followed throughout the site.
- Establish processes and procedures for identifying, collecting, updating, and distributing controlled documents for the site. This involves writing and maintaining document control procedures and participating in the development and roll-out of document control tools.
- Perform internal site audits. Ensure compliance with internal policies and procedures, as well as with any regulatory (Federal, State, Local) requirements.
- Active member of the site HACCP and Food Safety teams. Duties include identification of hazards and controls related to processes and environment, supporting pre-requisite program verification activities and developing HACCP plans as needed.
- Take an active role in supporting behavior-based safety. Coordinate training and development of employees for all hygiene programs that include: sanitation, GMP, Pest Control, allergens, and hygienic engineering.
- Promote quality/hygiene awareness throughout the site through coaching, training and onsite audits.
- Ensure that sanitation programs are effectively implemented, validated, and maintained to ensure that all products are manufactured in a sanitary environment. This includes assessment of the sanitation and hygiene of the facility environment (internal/external) as well as the processing and supporting equipment.
- Ensure that validated Sanitation and Allergen SOP’s are in place. Ensure effective/efficient cleaning frequency is managed through an MSS (Master Sanitation Schedule).
- Manage building requirements, special requests and communicate with Sanitation team. Order supplies, chemicals & consumables. Ensure the building is being sanitized properly.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
- Background in Microbiology, Food Science, Food Sanitation or related field required.
- Knowledge in Food Safety / HACCP / 5S & GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices).
- Keen attention to even the smallest detail.
- Effective communication skills and ability to train and facilitate.
- Courage to escalate; Strategic thinker; Self-motivation
- Ability to interpret data and make decisions on that basis
- Ability to work under pressure and remain calm to meet time restricted deadlines
- Ability to dialogue with all levels in the factory
- Computer skills to include proficiency with the Microsoft Office Software.
- Professionalism and ability to maintain confidentiality is required.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize work effectively.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Food Manufacturing environment – 100% (<40 degrees F, >80 degrees F)
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs unassisted
Beyond Meat is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, gender identify, sexual orientation, national origin, liability for military service, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. If you are interested in learning the status of your application, please note you will be contacted directly by the appropriate human resources contact person if you are selected for further consideration. Beyond Meat reserves the right to defer or close a vacancy at any time.