El Segundo, CA /
R&D – Commercialization /
At Beyond Meat, we started with simple questions. Why do you need an animal to create meat? Why can’t you build meat directly from plants? Thus, we make plant-based meats that allow families to eat more, not less, of the traditional dishes they love while feeling great about the health, sustainability, and animal welfare benefits of plant protein. Our goal is to bring exciting change to the plate—and Beyond.
This engineer will report to the Pilot Plant Manager and work in close, cross-functional collaboration with other Engineering, R&D, and Operations teams. They will bring new Beyond Meat innovation products from the feasibility stage through to production-scale capability and readiness, and aid in achieving successful and on-time production launches.
Priorities include executing process engineering, development, and scale-up of food manufacturing processes which successfully deliver production manufacturing lines with demonstrated process capability that produce in specification products. This role requires executing successful process engineering work for pilot product process development and scale-up through commissioning and verification of production ready manufacturing processes that utilize in network equipment.
The ideal candidate will be an Engineer with 2-5 years of successful experience in applying robust science and data capture in executing food process development work from pilot stage through to the commissioning and qualification of new product introductions into high volume production. The individual must demonstrate self-initiative in organizing, executing, and delivering value-added results and deliverables that are aligned with assigned project objectives and scope. Best in class data collection and documentation are a must for the position.
TASKS, DUTIES, & GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in ideation, design, set up, and execution of pilot-scale experiments
- Assist in identifying and testing new equipment for the development of new products in pilot plant
- Optimize and troubleshoot processes and equipment to ensure desired product quality attributes are being achieved
- Effectively communicate, coordinate, and execute within process engineering and the cross-functional product commercialization teams to assure well aligned and delivered process engineering learnings, achievements, and ultimate production line capabilities and results
- Works collaboratively between Beyond Meat’s R&D and Operations teams on new and renovated product development and introduction programs to assure that the product and its production-intent processes meet program objectives, manufacturability, timelines, and cost targets
- Organizes and conducts process engineering development, PFDs, energy and mass balance, process and equipment trials, process design, specification, commissioning, and verification of food manufacturing processes and equipment for production-intent capability, scale, and readiness
- Strong communication skills and ability to create collaborative relationships with cross functional teams within the organization
- Execute and complete process engineering projects and activities required for the successful development and commercialization of food manufacturing processes and equipment
- Assessing and identifying existing (in the BYND manufacturing network) or new food manufacturing process equipment and technology solutions for new or renovated products being pursued. Ability to assess creative ideas and suggest them for future commercialization
- Advancing product and process development from the feasibility stage to final new product introduction and production launch. Working collaboratively with the various commercialization, R&D, manufacturing, quality, and supply chain teams throughout the process.
- Developing and achieving product and process viability and design-for-manufacturability at pilot scale which is scalable and capable of meeting project objectives. Identifying key product and process parameters and scaling factors necessary for production scale-up and success.
- Ensuring quality and food safety critical control points and requirements are built into the equipment and process specifications.
- Establishing engineering specifications and providing engineering oversight for equipment and associated tooling selection, procurement, installation, and commissioning.
- Developing cost estimates, budgets (capital and expense), and associated plans for the process engineering portion of project activities, equipment, and tooling requirements.
- Problem solving ability to simplify complex processes/situations and figure out the steps to get things done in practice.
- Customer service orientation that seeks to understand and anticipate the needs of others, while practicing attentive and active listening and flexing style to meet the requirements of changing situations.
- Maintain and follow GMP and Lab safety protocols in compliance with EH&S guidelines.
QUALIFICATIONS: Education, Technical Skills, and/or Previous Experience
- BS in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Process Engineering, Biosystems Engineering or Food Process Engineering required
- 2-5 years of relevant food process engineering experience working with R&D, Commercialization, and Operations in NPI process development, production scale-up, and commercial launches, required
- Experience in the food industry is required
- GMP and SQF experience is preferred
- Proven demonstrated engineering experience in an aggressive growth business environment with a track record of overcoming difficult challenges in achieving business and project objectives
- Successful process engineering development, scale-up, and commissioning skills with a track record of establishing and executing high value-add work output, trials, and production launch results
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office and Google Suite. DOE software, AutoCAD, CFD is a plus
- Must be willing to travel up to 50% of the time to facilities and suppliers in North America, and at times internationally.
- Hands on with the experiment and working with equipment during scale up process
- Position requires the ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and consistently lift up to 50 lbs.
- Position is located in El Segundo, California and in a mix of Pilot Plant, Laboratory, Plant Facilities, and Office Environments; requires a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, and varying room temperatures and lighting
$95,000 - $110,000 a year
The starting annual base pay for this On-site role is between USD $95,000 and $110,000. The actual base is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. The role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, and benefits.
Beyond Meat is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, gender identify, sexual orientation, national origin, liability for military service, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. If you are interested in learning the status of your application, please note you will be contacted directly by the appropriate human resources contact person if you are selected for further consideration. Beyond Meat reserves the right to defer or close a vacancy at any time.
For all U.S. based roles: Applicants must be authorized to work for a U.S. employer. This role is not eligible for Visa Sponsorship at this time.