Bell Person - The Hay-Adams
Washington, D.C. /
The Hay-Adams – Front Office /
Steeped in rich history and surrounded by the most iconic institutions of our nation, The Hay-Adams is the downtown Washington, D.C. hotel for discerning guests. Enveloped by views of the White House, St. John’s Church, and the scenic Lafayette Park, the 5-star accommodations at The Hay-Adams are the embodiment of refined residence. Marked by Washington, D.C.’s most accommodating amenities and dedicated services, The Hay-Adams is the boutique hotel of choice for the modern luxury traveler. The Hay-Adams offers an exceptional guest experience that goes beyond a good night’s sleep.
The bell person is primarily responsible for welcoming all guests to the hotel as well as bidding them farewell. The bell person is escorting guests to and from their accommodations, orienting them with the features of the property and their accommodations, assisting the guest in any way to make them feel more comfortable in accordance with the Hay Adams Standards of Excellence.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty to a satisfactory standard. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: High School diploma, general education degree or international equivalent required.
License/Certification: Valid US driver’s license required
Experience: Previous guest service, front door or bell service experience in a luxury property preferred. Previous customer service experience preferred.
Basic Expectations: Perform all job duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Hay Adams handbook, the department operation manual as well as all hotel policies and procedures
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A
Language Skills: Good knowledge of the English language is mandatory as well as the ability to speak, read and write clearly. Must be able to read and listen to instructions, memos, short correspondences and messages. Second language preferred.
Mathematical Skills: Must have good mathematical skills, ability to add, divide, subtract and multiply two digit numbers.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to carry out detailed instructions in both written and oral manner using common sense and understanding. Ability to deal with problems and situations in a calm and professional manner. Ability to multitask handling many different situations in the work area at one time, prioritizing problems and resolving them satisfactory.
Physical Ability: Ability to spend long hours moving around, walking, sitting, standing and crouching while performing other duties including but not limited entering and exiting vehicles. Must be able to multitask, talk and listen simultaneously while guests are present in the lobby. Ability to work well under pressure and perform during emergency situations. Ability to regularly lift luggage and objects up to 50lbs.
Standards of Conduct:
The high ethical standards of The Hay-Adams must be upheld by all members of the company. The policies relative to press relations, equal opportunity, discrimination, sexual harassment, vendor relations, etc., stated in the employee handbook and manuals are inviolable. We pride ourselves on providing a professional caring atmosphere for clients and all fellow employees and will achieve this goal through responsible actions.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform all job duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Hay Adams handbook, the department operation manual as well as all hotel policies and procedures are part of this job description.
- Perform all tasks and duties in accordance to the Standards of Excellence and to the guidelines set in the employee handbook, hotel policies and procedures.
- Maintain a professional and high quality service oriented environment at all times.
- Greet all guests in the lobby in a warm and professional manner, make them feel welcome and assist them with anything they need .and anticipate their need before it arises.
- Recognize all repeat and VIP guests and welcome them back. Escort all guests checking in to their accommodations following hotel procedure. Inform them about all hotel and guest room features, hotel facilities and emergency procedures. Assist guests with their luggage while using the guest’s name.
- Deliver the morning newspapers to each occupied guest room unless instructed otherwise.
- Make deliveries to guest rooms as instructed.
- Store and retrieve luggage and other objects for guests.
- Be aware of daily hotel activities, group and VIP arrivals. Communicate special guest requests to the Lobby Ambassador and or Front Office Manager/Manager on Duty.
- Ensure the lobby, bell closet and work areas as well as departmental equipment are clean and presentable at all times. Communicate needs to the Lobby Ambassador and or Front Office Manager/Manager on Duty.
- Offer assistance to all guests and provide them with information requested and directions, escorting the guest whenever possible.
- Resolve any guest complaints or problems to the satisfaction of guest and hotel if possible and within reason. Communicate such incidents immediately to the Front Office Manager and/or Manager on Duty to ensure proper follow up and guest satisfaction.
- Assist the Front Desk, Door Person, Lobby Ambassador and Concierge when needed.
- Constantly strive to improve and perfect service in the department and exceed guest expectation.
- Ensure that guests enjoyed their stay at the hotel, assist with their departure, luggage and transportation, bid them a proper farewell and extend an invitation to return.
- Be aware of all fire-life-safety procedures. Remain current in all updates with regards to new procedures.
- Report any suspicious persons, activities, unattended packages or luggage and/or hazardous conditions to the Security department and/or the Front Office Manager/Manager on Duty.
- Perform any other duties as required and directed by Management.
The Hay-Adams is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring diverse professionals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled