Part-time Lafayette Host/Hostess - The Hay Adams
Washington, D.C. /
The Hay-Adams – Food & Beverage /
Steeped in rich history and surrounded by the most iconic institutions of our nation, The Hay-Adams is the downtown Washington, D.C. hotel for discerning guests. Enveloped by views of the White House, St. John’s Church, and the scenic Lafayette Park, the 5-star accommodations at The Hay-Adams are the embodiment of refined residence. Marked by Washington, D.C.’s most accommodating amenities and dedicated services, The Hay-Adams is the boutique hotel of choice for the modern luxury traveler. The Hay-Adams offers an exceptional guest experience that goes beyond a good night’s sleep.
Provides the first point of contact to Lafayette restaurant for all guests, through the coordination of all reservations to the dining room by phone or in person. Greets and assists all guests at the restaurant entrance, assists in seating and menu presentation. Coordinates with all managers and service staff essential details of patrons in the dining room. Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Greet and/or acknowledge guests arriving within 30 seconds. If a delay is anticipated, it is communicated to the guest with an apology and an offer of additional services, i.e.: light beverage while waiting or reading material to keep them occupied.
- Seat patrons by escorting them to assigned table, pulling out chairs, placing napkins on their lap and handing guests the menus. Guests are never to be seated at a table that is not fully set and ready for service.
- Present menus, engage in polite conversation, create a personal dining experience, answer questions, and offer information on all menu items and beverage items and offerings of the Lafayette Restaurant, Off the Record and Private Dining.
- Answer the phone in accordance with hotels standards.
- Accept reservations for the Lafayette Restaurant and the Private Dining Room, by taking the following information: name of the host, time, number of people in the party and phone number as well as Credit Card number if appropriate.
- Be knowledgeable with regards to operating hours of all food and beverage outlets, any promotions/events.
- Learn and be familiar with VIP reports and hotel environment.
- Prepare a seating assignment before each meal period, considering special requests of guests and preferred needs of regular guests. Present this to all restaurant staff in the pre-shift meeting. Advise manager of any VIP’s.
- Walk through the dining room to ensure guests are satisfied; answers questions; advises servers and bus persons of any specific service needs.
- Handle any guest request or complaints within reason or refers to Manager on shift if needed.
- Maintain work area in a professional manner. Ensure that noise levels in all areas are kept to a minimum.
- An immaculate appearance and adherence to the Hay Adams Hotel grooming standards is imperative for this position.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as required and directed.
- The Hay Adams Handbook, the departmental Standard Operating Manual and our policies and procedures are part of this job description.
Required Skills and Experience:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- License/Certification: Must be able to obtain any/all locally required licenses/certifications that relate to the job being performed such as TIPS or ServeSafe food safety certifications.
- This position is one of very high guest contact and position profile, as such, all established standards of excellence must be maintained at all times and every effort must be made to meet and/or exceed all guest expectations or requests.
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Must have good working knowledge of the English language - ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence and effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to guest and other employees of the organization.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurements, volume and distance.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by any employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. EEO AA M/F/Vet/Disabled
The Hay-Adams is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring diverse professionals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled