Head of Engineering
Product – Engineering /
As Amazon is pouring billions into its e-commerce infrastructure, independent brands are struggling to offer the same level of trust and experience to their customers. They're now faced with a difficult choice: hop onto the Amazon train or lose customers every day. Bigblue helps independent brands fight back. Together with companies like Stripe and Shopify, we're arming the direct-to-consumer rebellion. Shopify powers their e-shop, Stripe makes payment trivial, and we, Bigblue store and deliver their products around the world.
Founded in 2018, we have raised $18M, and we are now more than 90 employees working from our offices in Paris, Madrid, London, and remotely.
What makes our product and culture special
- Impact. Our small team builds mission-critical real-time systems that deliver hundreds of millions of euros worth of goods, affecting millions of buyers around the world every year.
- High-Standards. We hold high standards that enable us to move fast and ship multiple times a day on even the most critical systems.
- We Care. We make every effort to make others feel good by caring and bringing positivity. We help each other and create a safe space to fail and grow together.
- Pragmatic Product Mindset. Because we're all product-minded engineers, we tend to evaluate trade-offs with product impact and customers in mind, and be extremely pragmatic about the value we deliver.
👉 To learn more about our product culture, see Bigblue's product team hub.
Head of Engineering
Location: Paris 9th, France
Compensation: Base €90-130k + Stock options: €100-200k (gross value)
You are an experienced people manager, team leader, and hands-on software engineer. You are passionate about simple solutions to complex problems, whether they are product or software. You thrive on growing and enabling people to have the largest impact possible. You have designed and built complex and mission-critical products and systems, and have seen them scale from 1 engineer, to one team, and to multiple teams. You've been a consistent example of high-standards, growth mindset and teamwork for your entire team.
As Head of Engineering, you will report to the Chief Technology Officer, and work hand-in-hand with him and the Head of Product to grow the team from a flat structure to many mission-defined teams. You will be responsible for all software delivery and engineering goal-setting. You will recruit, support, and scale our culture of product engineering, innovation, and pragmatism within Engineering.
What the job involves
- Directly manage engineers, setup a team management structure, and enable teams to be successful.
- Contribute to grow Bigblue's strong Product Engineering culture. Lead by example by being a proficient, relevant and creative product contributor.
- Own the engineering-wide responsibility for day-to-day execution against priorities while keeping Bigblue's engineering standards extremely high.
- Partner with CTO, and Head of Product to drive process changes across teams which ensure our Engineering processes are efficient, collaborative, and foster ownership.
- Partner with the CTO and staff/senior engineers to perform architecture and engineering plan reviews.
- Drive the engineering roadmap to maintain great developer experience through continuous investment in tooling, and removal of bottlenecks.
- Source, screen, interview and hire talented Engineering Managers and Engineers.
- Cultivate a happy, motivated and energized team. Grow and manage high and poor performers into impactful contributors.
- Have led a growing team of engineers through several evolutions of process and organization, with a strong biais for action.
- Demonstrated technical depth and experience in full stack, distributed systems. Enough to dive deep with an engineer, ask the risk questions, and build a precise understanding of Bigblue's stack.
- Track record of outstanding people management, ability to influence and engage direct, indirect reports and peers.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and an ability to interface with executive-level management, board of directors, and staff. Professional English, conversational French.
1. Informational call (Google Meet)
2. Cultural fit in-person meet-up
3. Experience deep dive (Google Meet)
4. Onsite interviews (in our Paris offices, half-day).