Remote - US /
At Big Health, our purpose is to help millions back to good mental health. We do this through our digital therapeutics: Daylight™ for worry and anxiety, and Sleepio™, for poor sleep. These fully automated cognitive-behavioral programs are as scalable and clinically validated as drugs. Our software combines the intimacy of the human voice, engaging animation, and clinically rigorous techniques to engage people anytime and anywhere and ultimately help them overcome their mental health issues. Today, over 12 million people worldwide have access to Big Health’s products, via leading employers in the US (including Target, Google, and Boston Medical) and the UK’s NHS.
This is an exciting time to join Big Health as our Controller, as we are on the backs of a new round of funding to accelerate our growth and to achieve our mission of getting millions back to good mental health.
As part of the Finance and Accounting team, you will take ownership of building the foundations of a world-class finance organization and be a thought leader to our business partners. As a member of a lean team, you will be given the opportunity to work directly with senior leadership, and hold the responsibility with autonomy, to build and coach a team, process, and the strategic direction of the department, from the ground up. This person will play a unique role in not only shaping the strategic direction for the team but also for the company.
What you'll do:
- Drive the development and implementation of strategies to improve accounting operations efficiencies, effectiveness, and scalability, including policies, processes, and system changes.
- Drive the monthly financial close activities across the UK and US entities ensuring accurate, timely, and comprehensive financial reporting by preparing and approving journal entries, monthly reconciliations, and monthly variance analysis.
- Build, mentor, and coach the Finance and Accounting team while implementing and streamlining the strategic direction of the department from the ground up.
- Lead the billing, financial statements, the general ledger, project accounting, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, tax, compliance, payroll, and similar functions of the company.
- Build and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures. And evaluate new accounting pronouncements and assess impact on financial reporting.
- Own the company’s capitalization table – manage all employee stock option activities, 409A valuation, ASC 718 expense reporting, and other stock administrative functions.
- Participate in all system automation and implementation projects – accounting system, forecasting system, etc.
- Develop and manage strong collaborative relationships with business teams across the company to build scalable processes and drive best practices.
- Participate in annual budgeting cycle and ongoing reforecast; work with the FP&A team to build and maintain Big Health’s complex financial models.
- Lead a consolidated audit for US and UK Companies and ensure ongoing audit compliance.
What you bring:
- BA/ BS in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration required
- 5-7 years experience in accounting management ideally in a small start-up environment
- Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles - both US and International
- A passion for taking ownership in creating and streamlining new processes
- High attention to detail and ability to meet hard deadlines
- Adaptability with a problem-solving attitude
- Ability to independently manage change and ambiguity as the first accounting team member at Big Health
- An innate ability to run with ambiguity with little hand-holding
- A business and finance mindset
- Experience in healthcare startup is a plus
Because we are on a mission to bring millions back to good mental health, we believe it’s essential to reflect the diversity of those we intend to serve. We’re an equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a culturally and experientially diverse team that leads with empathy and respect.
Additionally, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Big Health participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Big Health does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.