Clinical Sleep Specialist
At Big Health we’re creating the first generation of “digital medicine”. By automating evidence-based talking therapies we’re delivering behavioral medicine in a way that is as scalable and consistent as drugs. Our purpose is to help millions back to good mental health—and offer a true alternative to prescribed medication.
Our sleep improvement program, Sleepio, has been the subject of 33 peer-reviewed scientific papers, including eight randomized controlled trials (RCTs). Importantly, our users love it - 87% of people who have completed the program would recommend it to others. The Clinical & Research team is dedicated to ensuring our interventions are safe, effective, and engaging, and have the highest standard of research evidence behind them. You will have the opportunity to help us continue to develop high quality, evidence-backed digital interventions.
Although we were born in London, our headquarters are now in San Francisco. Core members of the Clinical & Research team are working across the globe, with product development being led from San Francisco. We are now looking for a talented psychologist with an expertise in behavioral sleep medicine to fill the role of Clinical Sleep Specialist, serving as a lead clinical member of our cross-functional product team. In this role, you will work with top clinical experts, creatives, and engineers to create digital programs that are both effective and engaging.
The Clinical Sleep Specialist will provide clinical input into the development and refinement of an evidence-based, digital app that helps people address mental health difficulties. You will work closely with both the Product Team and the Clinical & Research Team, and report directly to Dr. Jenna Carl, Big Health’s Medical Director. You will also receive supervision from Prof Colin Espie, CMO of Big Health, who is based in the Sleep and Circadian Neuroscience Institute at the University of Oxford.
This post will be full-time, or near full-time, and based in San Francisco.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Taking the lead responsibility for all sleep-related clinical input into Big Health’s mental health-related product development work to ensure it reflects effective clinical working practice, and that all assessment and treatment components are evidence-based
- Working collaboratively with the product team, including designers, animators, and engineers, to design digital adaptations of evidence-based treatments that maintain clinical fidelity and appropriate clinical governance
- Writing and editing clinical content in collaboration with the team’s writers and designers
- Collaborating with the product team and the Clinical & Research Team to ensure that user testing and formal research results are incorporated into the product development lifecycle
- Communicating with the clinical research team, the broader company, and external stakeholders on updates and information related to product development
- Working with the Medical Director and other clinical experts to ensure alignment and consistency on product decisions
- Contributing to broader clinical tasks in relation to product development as needed
- Contributing collaboratively to the preparation of manuscripts submitted for peer-review publication and other written materials
- Professional qualification in clinical psychology (e.g., PhD, PsyD)
- Expertise in behavioral sleep medicine and evidence-based treatment of sleep disorders, including 2 or more years of specialized training or experience in the delivery of CBT for insomnia (CBT-I)
- Ability to apply evidence-based approaches creatively while maintaining clinical fidelity
- Ability to work both independently and effectively within a team
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Full-time or near full-time position
Bonus if you have:
- Experience in digital health
- Experience with psychological treatment development
- A research publication track record
Life at Big Health
- Join a diverse team of all backgrounds, we’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer
- A clearly structured personal review and professional development program, including support for attending conferences and other professional development activities
- Quarterly happiness survey that we use to ensure we’re creating a healthy and productive workplace for ourselves
- Fund for spending on personal happiness
- Generous vacation and maternity/paternity policy
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Competitive compensation
More about Big Health
- Our first product, Sleepio is recognized by RAND Corporation, Nature, Ranked, and The King’s Fund as the best evidenced App in its category
- We have partnerships with Oxford University, leading health insurers, and multiple universities around the world
- We’re backed by a leading venture capital firms, Index Ventures, Octopus Ventures and Kaiser Permanente Ventures
Working with us:
- We offer flexibility on where and when you work. We care about what you get done and that's how we'll measure you - it is not about the time you spend sitting at your desk. This role requires regular time in the SF office, but there is some flexibility for remote work if desired. Also, we are happy to help you design a schedule that allows you to maintain part-time outside clinical or academic activities.
- To apply, please submit your CV/resume with up to 250 words on why you want to work with us at https://www.bighealth.com/about-us. Please include a description of your experience in sleep medicine. We look forward to hearing from you!
Big Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to the goal of building a culturally & experientially diverse team. Additionally, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.