Engineering Manager - Data (Remote in US)
Remote - US /
At Big Health, our purpose is to help millions back to good mental health.
We do this through our digital therapeutics: Daylight™ for worry and anxiety, and Sleepio™, for poor sleep.
These fully automated cognitive-behavioral programs are as scalable and clinically validated as drugs.
And our software combines the intimacy of the human voice, engaging animation, and clinically rigorous techniques to engage people anytime and anywhere and ultimately help them overcome their mental health issues.
Today, over 12 million people worldwide have access to Big Health’s products, via leading employers in the US (including Target, Google, and Boston Medical) and the UK’s NHS.
As our Data Engineering Manager at Big Health, you will manage an experienced engineering team and partner with our product, design, and clinical teams to build and evolve the platform on which our commercial products are built.
Your team's work allows stakeholders to easily and securely access and process users' data to answer business-critical questions, guide product development, and support other development teams in leveraging their data.
This is an outstanding opportunity to build a modern enterprise-grade platform while having a meaningful impact on the lives of individuals.
This role is heavily focused on people management. We are looking for a Manager who can guide a team, champion the fundamentals underlying a DevOps culture, invest care in growing each member of their team, and can enable them to perform at their highest levels. Ultimately, knowing you succeed when your team succeeds.
What you'll do:
- Maintain a high trust environment and ensure a climate of psychological safety
- Manage team, processes, and partners to ensure frequent delivery of value to our end users
- Be an advocate for your team and a trusted advisor to all partners
- Support team operations and growth through regular 1:1s, periodic reviews, coaching, mentoring, networking
- Contribute to the hiring plan and act as a hiring manager for new roles on your team
- Support the technical decision process through coaching, mediation and facilitation with a focus on asking questions, bringing context, and clarifying
- Ultimately, owning the performance of your team and be jointly responsible, along with your Product and Design partners, for the health of your team and the delivery of your product
What you bring:
- Experience with Agile Methodologies
- 2+ years successfully leading a cross-functional engineering team of 3 engineers or more
- 5+ years software engineering experience
- Experience with Cloud-based architecture
- Experience working with distributed teams (our teams are located in the UK and across the US)
It would be great if you had...
- Familiarity with AWS and its data related services
- Experience with serverless technologies like AWS Lambda
- Experience working with sensitive data (e.g. financial, health)
- Experience applying DEVOPS principles in a team context
Life at Big Health:
- Be part of a team that includes clinical psychologists, software engineers, business leaders and even a former professional magician [shh… it’s a secret].
- Surround yourself with the smartest, most enthusiastic and dedicated people you’ll ever meet, but who listen well, learn from their mistakes and when things go wrong, generously pull together to help each other out
- Check out our values - they’re a living, breathing part of our culture
- Enjoy benefits including a generous vacation policy, professional development fund, flexible working locations and more.
- Competitive salary packages including stock options.
Because we are on a mission to bring millions back to good mental health, we believe it’s essential to reflect the diversity of those we intend to serve. We’re an equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a culturally and experientially diverse team that leads with empathy and respect.
Additionally, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Big Health participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Big Health does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.