Senior Software Engineer
At Big Health, our mission is to help millions back to good mental health by providing fully digital, non-drug options for the most common mental health conditions. Our digital therapeutics — Daylight for anxiety, and Sleepio for insomnia — are available anytime and anywhere to help people overcome their mental health issues.
In pursuit of our mission, we’ve pioneered the first at-scale digital therapeutic business model, in partnership with some of the most prominent global healthcare organizations, including CVS Health and the UK’s NHS. Through product innovation, robust clinical evaluation, and a commitment to equity at scale, we are designing the next generation of medicine and the future of mental health care.
Big Health is a remote-first company - we are headquartered in San Francisco and have a distributed team across the US and the UK. This role can be based anywhere in the UK. Join us!
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will develop and optimize our iOS, Android, and web applications using React, React Native, and Python, while driving technological choices and fostering technical discussions in collaboration with cross-functional stakeholders.
Essential Job Duties:
- Develop, optimize, and maintain our iOS, Android, and web applications using React, React Native and Python; ensuring clean, maintainable, and secure code
- Collaborate closely with all product teams on shared code
- Develop automated unit, integration, and end-to-end tests to ensure high-quality, reliable software
- Collaborate with a variety of stakeholders from functions such as Product, Design, Security, QA, and Clinical to align on technical plans
- Write and maintain comprehensive technical documentation
- Actively contribute to the ongoing evolution and improvement of engineering practices, processes, and tools within the organization
- Contribute to best practices and collective knowledge through backend and frontend technology guilds
- Facilitate technical discussions and ceremonies both within the team and for cross-team initiatives
- Contribute to the maintenance and enhancement of Jenkins continuous integration pipelines for streamlined deployments
- Support the operation of our applications in production, through monitoring and analysis using tools such as Sentry, Datadog, and Splunk
Required Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years of software engineering experience, including 2+ years providing production support for commercial applications with over 1,000 end users
- 2+ years of React Native development experience, with a strong understanding of state management, hooks, and functional programming
- 2+ years of experience with Python or other object-oriented programming languages
- 2+ years of experience designing and implementing automated tests at the unit and integration or functional level
- 2+ years of experience designing and implementing RESTful APIs using best practices such as endpoint versioning and authentication
- 2+ years of experience working with Postgres, MySQL, or other relational databases
Life at Big Health:
- Join a diverse team of all backgrounds, we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer
- Autonomy over your work and freedom to input
- Enjoy a clearly structured personal review and development program
- Quarterly happiness survey that we use to ensure we’re creating a healthy and happy workplace for ourselves
- Fund for spending on personal happiness
- Regular team and company events
- Generous vacation and maternity/paternity policy
- Competitive salary and equity package
More Background on Big Health:
- Backed by leading venture capital firms, Index Ventures, Octopus Ventures, and Kaiser Permanente Ventures
- With offices in London and San Francisco, Big Health’s products are used by large multinational employers and major health plans to help improve sleep and mental health. To date, more than 12 million people across 60+ countries have access to Sleepio or Daylight
Because we are on a mission to bring millions back to good mental health, we believe it’s essential to reflect the diversity of those we intend to serve. We’re an equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a culturally and experientially diverse team that leads with empathy and respect.
Additionally, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Big Health participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Big Health does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.