We are looking to hire a top-notch Controller to join our growing team at Big Health. You will own and play a significant role in all core finance and accounting functions, and help to define processes, procedures and expansion. You should be comfortable working in a collaborative, fast-paced, and rapidly growing startup environment and show great initiative about what you can do in this role. If you are seeking an intellectually engaging, high-impact role in scaling the finance and accounting function on a supportive and committed team, with lots of room to grow and learn, we want to hear from you!
At Big Health, our purpose is to help millions back to good mental health. We do this by creating what we call, “Digital Medicine”. Our programs are highly personalized, automated behavioral therapy programs backed by gold standard clinical evidence. In addition to being backed by 8 randomized controlled trials, our programs follow our core product philosophy of using “entertainment as medicine” as the way to engage individuals and in turn teach them the necessary cognitive and behavioral skills required to overcome their troubles, be it poor sleep or worry.
As a Controller at Big Health, you will:
- Oversee worldwide consolidation of multiple entities and provide technical guidance to the team members to perform the monthly consolidation with limited system automation while looking for future system upgrades.
- Build and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Own the company’s capitalization table – manage all employee stock option activities, 409A valuation, ASC 718 expense reporting, and other stock administrative functions.
- Participate in all system automation and implementation projects – accounting system, forecasting system, etc.
- Act as a business partner with all other teams across the company to build scalable processes and drive best practices
- Conduct day to day finance functions such as accounts payable and employee expense reports for the US Business and overseeing UK accounting team.
- Revenue recognition compliance for large enterprise sales of software and the related COGS reporting and compliance
- Own the entire month-end close process and develop internal best practices.
- Prepare, update and analyze financial statements including: flux analyses, budget versus actuals, board packages, and others.
- Participate in annual budgeting cycle and ongoing re-forecast; working with the Director of Operations to build and maintain Big Health’s a complex financial models
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Lead a consolidated audit for US and UK Companies and ensure ongoing audit compliance
- Lead US, UK and international taxation compliance: tax returns, tax provisions, sales tax, UK R&D credit, payroll
In order to be successful in this role you will need:
- 5+ years experience in accounting management ideally in a small start up environment
- Strong understanding of US GAAP and revenue recognition processes
- High attention to detail and ability to meet hard deadlines
- Team-oriented and reliable
- Ability to manage change and ambiguity as the first accounting team member at Big Health
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in designing and implementing financial processes
Bonus if you have:
- Experience working with UK accounting regulations
- Experience in the health startup space
Life at Big Health:
- Join a diverse team of all backgrounds, we’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer
- You’ll have a lot of control over your work and freedom to input
- Enjoy a clearly structured personal review and development program
- Quarterly happiness survey that we use to ensure we’re creating a healthy and happy workplace for ourselves
- Fund for spending on personal happiness
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Generous vacation and maternity/paternity policy
- Competitive salary and equity package
Big Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to the goal of building a culturally & experientially diverse team. Additionally, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.