Prior VR experience is not required
Founded in 2014, Bigscreen is a California-based technology company creating an immersive virtual reality telepresence platform that aims to revolutionize the way people work, play, hangout, and collaborate. Since its beta launch in March 2016, it has become one of the most popular and highly rated VR apps. Power users spend 20-30 hours per week in Bigscreen, making it one of the most widely used "killer apps" in the industry.
Join us and help design the future of computing and collaboration.
- Build Bigscreen's social backend, including friends lists, cross-platform invite mechanisms, and other social features
- Develop the Bigscreen user account system, the backend for the Bigscreen Store, and payments integrations
- Manage the backend web services, ensure uptime and performance, and manage releases
- Creating a suite of user-facing web and desktop apps to allow users on more platforms to interact and communicate with others in Bigscreen, just as Slack/Skype/Discord have apps on every major platform
- Build new front-end UIs for 2D and VR
- Focus on technical challenges such as: scaling APIs, decentralized consensus, peer-to-peer networking, real-time and reactive UIs and more!
- Manage, coordinate, and work with the designers, backend developers, and front-end developers on the team
- Strong skills in UI design
- Several years of experience building and scaling web apps in production, with Node.js, Redis, and similar tech stacks
- Several years of experience with networking, databases, CDNs, message queues, and reverse proxies
- Several years of experience managing web services in production
- Strong engineering practices, code quality, and project management skills
- Good communication skills in English
- Experience working independently and collaboratively on small teams
- Experience managing small engineering teams
- Expertise with decentralized peer-to-peer (P2P) network architectures, real-time media encoding, WebRTC, and MCUs are highly desired
- Expertise with the Chromium codebase and embedded Chromium (CEF, NWJS or Electron) are highly desired
Location is Remote
We're currently in Berkeley, California (UTC-8) so ideally you live in North America or South America. We prefer if you live in a timezone that is less than 4 hours different from UTC-8 / Pacific Time.
We are a <10 person, fully remote company creating one of the most popular VR platforms in the world with nearly 1 million users. Founded in 2014, Bigscreen has $14 million in funding from top venture capital firms Andreessen Horowitz & True Ventures.
Over the next 10 years, our goal is to build useful software for VR/AR headsets that people could use for 10 hours a day, every day, for telepresence/collaboration with coworkers, and social entertainment with friends. We're building movie theaters, lounges, and meeting spaces in VR/AR.
Today, our power users already spend 20-30 hours every week using Bigscreen. The most popular use case of Bigscreen today is social video watching. We recently partnered with Paramount Pictures, MGM, and other major movie studios to distribute their movies in our social VR movie theater. Imagine watching the latest summer blockbuster in a virtual IMAX-like movie theater with friends around the world.
In the next year, we will expand Bigscreen to more VR/AR headsets (ex. PlayStation) and release major product updates such as new avatars, new environments, friend systems, and new paid/premium features such as selling virtual movie tickets to premium movie showings.
Why work with us?
Futuristic Product & Mission
Work on one of the most popular VR products in the world. Bigscreen has nearly 1 million users; power users spend 20-30 hours using Bigscreen every week, making it a "killer app" for VR.
Work from home at a high-growth, high-paying tech company, without wasting hours each week commuting into an office and without uprooting your life and moving to Silicon Valley. Our team is currently in San Francisco, Nashville, Denver, Argentina, and New Zealand.
We do 2-3 retreats per year, and attendance is required. We travel to fantastic destinations around the world like Cancun, Mexico and Lisbon, Portugal. People with obligations (family/health/etc.) come for 7-9 days and some people stay longer if they can (10-15 days). It's an exciting opportunity to collaborate face-to-face and bond with the team.
Experienced & Diverse Team
We're a product-driven company. We're listening to our users, releasing frequent updates, working on hard engineering problems, and building a sustainable/profitable business with a long-term plan for the future of VR/AR.
Our founder is an experienced entrepreneur with a decade of experience in startups, engineering, and product design. Some of us have built several VC-backed tech startups. Some shipped award-winning videogames. Some of us have built lightfield rendering engines and entire game engines in the past.
Work Life Balance
As a tech startup, we work hard but we strike a healthy balance. We tend to work 5.5 to 6 days per week, and more than a typical "M-F 9-5" job. But we don't work insane "100 hour weeks" or "crunch mode." We prioritize 8 hours of sleep and health/fitness because we are in this for the long run and don't want to "burn out"
Flexible Work Hours
Start your work day at anytime, take any breaks during the day (walk your dog, take kids to school, or cook with your family!), and end your work day at anytime. Some people take every Sunday off, and some people take time off during the middle of the week randomly. Some people start working at 7am local time, while others start working at 1pm and prefer to work late at night.
We don't measure work hours/schedule; we instead look for self-motivated people that work hard and care deeply about their work.
Big Growth, Big Salary, Big Equity
With $14 million in funding and a path to profitability, this is a long-term stable job with growth opportunities in a high growth company. We provide above-market rate salaries and a large equity (% ownership) stake in company, giving you a share in the potentially huge financial upside.
Computer hardware, VR headsets, coworking spaces, healthcare, paid leave, and more!
What we look for...
Experience working remotely
Experience working on small teams small game studios or tech startups
Strong communication skills in English
Independently motivated, hardworking, and eager to work at a tech startup
Cares deeply about VR/AR and the work we do
We strongly prefer if you are within +/- 5 hours of California