We're looking for an experienced Interaction Designer to work on cutting-edge VR design problems such as:
- intuitive user onboarding, purchase flows, friend invite flows, etc.
- spatial UIs with multiple interaction modes for various headsets and controllers
- natural interactions/gestures
- spatializing information on 2D UIs and 3D environment UIs
- social VR avatar design
- cohesive visual design and look & feel of UIs, props, etc.
- Solve hard VR interaction and UI design problems (onboarding, purchase flows, invite flows, etc.)
- Prototype and design new VR user interfaces and interaction mechanics to make Bigscreen more enjoyable, useful, consistent, and intuitive
- Create prototypes, conduct user research, and validate ideas in order to improve UX
- Create walkthroughs, NPCs, and features to improve the new user experience
- Create new social VR features and game mechanics (ex. avatars, gestures, minigames)
- Create new productivity features and computing interfaces (ex. keyboards, whiteboards) to make Bigscreen useful in more contexts
- Polish the product with visual design work
Our ideal candidate has...
- 5+ years of relevant experience spanning areas such as 2D/3D interaction design, user research, UX design (onboarding/UI flows/etc.), UI prototyping, and UI development
- Designed and shipped multiple apps/games
- Built and released a VR game/app
- Some front-end web design experience
- Experience with mobile app UI design
- Experience with multi-user/multiplayer game design
- (Ideally) experience with the Unity Editor and 3D modeling tools (Maya, Cinema4D, etc.)
- (Ideally) experience with shaders, performance, and animations in 3D games and Unity
- (Ideally) experience prototyping and scripting in Unity
Base salary ranges from USD $80k-150k based on experience and location
Equity (stock options), signing bonuses, yearly bonuses, and yearly raises are also offered in addition to the base salary
Bigscreen is a "VR movie theater"
We are a <10 person, fully remote company creating one of the most popular VR platforms in the world with nearly 1 million users. Founded in 2014, Bigscreen has $14 million in funding from top venture capital firms Andreessen Horowitz & True Ventures.
Over the next 10 years, our goal is to build useful software for VR/AR headsets that people could use for 10 hours a day, every day, for telepresence/collaboration with coworkers, and social entertainment with friends. We believe VR/AR headsets will replace most screens (TVs, laptops, etc.) in 5-10 years.
Today, our power users already spend 20-30 hours every week using Bigscreen. The most popular use case of Bigscreen today is social video watching. We recently partnered with Paramount Pictures, MGM, and other major movie studios to distribute their movies in our social VR movie theater. Imagine watching the latest summer blockbuster in a virtual IMAX-like movie theater with friends around the world.
In the next year, we will expand Bigscreen to more VR/AR headsets (ex. PlayStation) and release major product updates such as new avatars, new environments, friend systems, and new paid/premium features such as selling virtual movie tickets to premium movie showings.
Why work with us?
Futuristic Product & Mission
Work on one of the most popular VR products in the world. Bigscreen has nearly 1 million users; power users spend 20-30 hours using Bigscreen every week, making it a "killer app" for VR.
Work from home at a high-growth, high-paying tech company, without wasting hours each week commuting into an office and without uprooting your life and moving to Silicon Valley. Our team is currently in San Francisco, Nashville, Denver, Argentina, and New Zealand.
We do 2-3 retreats per year, and attendance is required. We travel to fantastic destinations around the world like Cancun, Mexico and Lisbon, Portugal. People with obligations (family/health/etc.) come for 7-9 days and some people stay longer if they can (10-15 days). It's an exciting opportunity to collaborate face-to-face and bond with the team.
Experienced & Diverse Team
We're a product-driven company. We're listening to our users, releasing frequent updates, working on hard engineering problems, and building a sustainable/profitable business with a long-term plan for the future of VR/AR.
Our founder is an experienced entrepreneur with a decade of experience in startups, engineering, and product design. Some of us have built several VC-backed tech startups. Some shipped award-winning videogames. Some of us have built lightfield rendering engines and entire game engines in the past.
Work Life Balance
As a tech startup, we work hard but we strike a healthy balance. We tend to work 5.5 days per week, and a bit more than a typical "M-F 9-5" job. But we don't work insane "100 hour weeks" or "crunch mode." We prioritize 8 hours of sleep, health/fitness, and family because we are in this for the long run and don't want to burn out.
Flexible Work Hours
Start your work day at anytime, take any breaks during the day (walk your dog, take kids to school, or cook with your family!), and end your work day at anytime. Some people take every Sunday off, and some people take time off during the middle of the week randomly. Some people start working at 7am local time, while others start working at 1pm and prefer to work late at night.
We don't measure work hours/schedule; we instead look for self-motivated people that work hard and care deeply about their work.
Big Growth, Big Salary, Big Equity
With $14 million in funding and a path to profitability, this is a long-term stable job with growth opportunities in a high growth company. We provide above-market rate salaries and a large equity (% ownership) stake in company, giving you a share in the potentially huge financial upside.
Computer hardware, VR headsets, coworking spaces, healthcare, paid leave, and more!
We strongly prefer if you are within +/- 5 hours of California