Senior Content Designer (Contract)
Palo Alto, CA
Product & UX – User Experience
Contractor / Consultant
Bill.com is a leading provider of cloud-based software that simplifies, digitizes, and automates complex, back-office financial operations for small and midsize businesses. Customers use the Bill.com platform to manage end-to-end financial workflows and to process payments, which totaled over $70 billion for fiscal 2019. The Bill.com AI-enabled, financial software platform creates connections between businesses and their suppliers and clients. It helps manage cash inflows and outflows. The company partners with several of the largest U.S. financial institutions, more than 70 of the top 100 U.S. accounting firms, and popular accounting software providers. Bill.com has offices in Palo Alto, California and Houston, Texas. For more information, visit www.bill.com or follow @billcom.
First things first
Content influences (BIG TIME) how consumers feel about the companies they’ve entrusted to handle their money. Content at Bill.com is a big responsibility, and there’s an opportunity to do something purposeful and impactful—for millions of business
customers. We’re looking for equal parts content strategist and UX writer who’s passionate about creating emotional customer connections to help us take product content to the next level!
As a Sr. Content Designer, you'll be fundamental to our product development process. You'll join a team dedicated to changing how small and midsize businesses do business today. You'll work closely with product managers, engineers, designers, and user researchers to build high-performing and user-centric products for our customers. You’ll ensure a cohesive language experience, and help define a vision and strategy for content across multiple channels and touchpoints.
You’re a shoo-in for this role if you...
- Are versatile. You’re able to plan and write content for web and mobile, including onboarding, user flows, microcopy, product emails, and everything in between. You love the big picture as well as hands-on writing and editing.
- Iterate quickly and respect deadlines. You’re comfortable managing multiple projects and know how to move fast, while still being meticulous and conscientious about your work. You do whatever it takes to keep projects on track while keeping messaging on target.
- Develop copy that gets attention, and elicits emotion and action. You’re skilled at translating features into benefits and crafting messages that connect emotionally with consumers.
- Are a pro at product and UX content. You’ve wielded copy for product and UX experiences and made them intuitive and delightful. You’ve weathered release cycles and can share shining examples of real work you’ve shipped, describing what you learned along the way.
- Understand that words have to look (and feel) right. Great copy is an essential ingredient of delightful design, and your work shows how you’ve tailored messages to fit certain spaces and styles. You recognize that a first draft rarely plugs and plays with a visual
- design comp.
- Have a “can-do attitude” and take initiative naturally. You don’t just sit around waiting for someone to tell you what to do. You’re not afraid to fail, ask questions, and constantly seek better ways of working and communicating.
- Turn drama into action. You’re a strong thinker, and you prefer to focus your energy and effort on solving problems.
- Can fight the good fight. You defend what you think is right for the business and consumer’s needs, relying on logic and evidence, rather than opinion or emotion. Testing and research are part and parcel to designing delightful experiences.
- Have held titles like: Content Strategist, Content Designer, UX Writer, Taxidermist. (Okay, maybe not a Taxidermist).
- Execute end-to-end content strategy for multiple product experiences.
- Transform complex accounting and payments jargon into conversational, approachable language
- Evangelize the Bill.com voice and tone through example.
- Collaborate effectively with designers, writers, product managers, marketers, and researchers.
- Eagerly solicit feedback and contribute constructively to design reviews.
- Skilled communicator, influencer, and negotiator, with excellent verbal and written command of the English language.
- Plan, write, edit, test, and improve content for product flows, emails, and other content throughout Bill.com’s experiences.
- Help apply and maintain consistency with content style guides, frameworks, and guidelines; evolve Bill.com’s voice and tone standards.
- Provide thought leadership on content strategy across the organization.
- Help shape and evangelize content standards that guide others on how to create content for Bill.com products.
- 6+ years of user-focused writing, including onboarding, user flows, microcopy, product emails, and everything in between.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Human-Computer Interaction Design, orother relevant field.
- Proficient understanding of design principles and methods.
- Experience with creating strategies and writing content for fintech products.
- Proven ability to collaborate successfully with cross-functional partners and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Must show strong examples of empathy in your writing; your portfolio should showcase workflows, content templates, style guides or standards for a variety of content types (including UI, user education, emails, or other product communications).
- Can work on multiple projects at a time, using strong communication skills to manage time and expectations appropriately
Bill.com is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.
● Humble – No ego
● Fun – Celebrate the moments
● Authentic – We are who we are
● Passionate – Love what you do
● Dedicated – To each other and the customer
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how Bill.com treats the personal information it receives from applicants.