Research Data Scientist, Computational Biology of Aging
Richmond, CA (HQ) /
Data Science – Computational Research /
Full Time/ Remote
BioAge Labs is a clinical-stage venture-backed biotechnology company headquartered in Richmond, CA. We’ve built a systems biology platform to map out the key molecular pathways that impact healthy human aging, based on proprietary human aging cohorts that have blood samples collected up to 45 years ago with participant -omics data that is tied to detailed medical follow-up records over their lifespan. To date, BioAge has raised $127M from Andreessen Horowitz, Kaiser Foundation Hospitals, and others. Recently, BioAge in-licensed our first two platform assets, and for both programs we’ll be initiating Phase 2 efficacy trials by H1 2021. Our mission is to develop a pipeline of therapeutic assets that increase healthspan and lifespan. For additional information about BioAge, visit the company’s website at www.bioagelabs.com.
About the position
We are seeking a highly motivated, independent and creative computational biologist to develop and apply techniques in machine learning to elucidate fundamental drivers of human aging. The major research focus will be the discovery and investigation of biomarker signatures, biological pathways, and drug targets related to biological aging, healthspan, and lifespan in humans using ML on unique human aging datasets generated by BioAge and our partners. The key focuses for this position will be timely publication of results in high impact journals, and development work on our proprietary AI Platform.
Qualifications, Skills, & Abilities
- Candidates should have a PhD in computational biology or a related discipline
- Strong background in machine learning and statistics, as well as an interest in the biological processes that drive aging
- Publications and knowledge in ML methods development, aging biology, molecular biology, medicine, and/or drug discovery will be highly valuable
- Experience working with and integrating proteomic, metabolomic, transcriptomic, genomic, and/or methylation data is also an asset
- This is a remote working position with no travel requirements
Resources to Support Research and Publication
- Unique proteomic, metabolomic, and transcriptomic datasets derived from prospective human aging cohorts. These cohorts have banked biospecimens and decades of longitudinal follow-up tracking diverse disease, healthspan, and lifespan outcomes
- Integrated access to a variety of other public, protected access, and proprietary molecular datasets as part of our comprehensive data platform
- Over two dozen PhD and MD-level researchers in-house or in close contact, with interdisciplinary expertise including machine learning, statistics, bioinformatics, molecular epidemiology, aging biology, biomarker discovery, and drug discovery and development
- Research collaborations and other relationships with high-profile academic aging labs
- Weekly research meetings with presentation and critiques of published papers
- Quarterly guest speakers from outside academic institutions; we are located in the SF Bay Area and are in close proximity to the Buck Institute for Research on Aging, UCSF, and Stanford
BioAge offers a comprehensive compensation package, as well as generous paid time off in addition to company-observed holidays. We provide medical, dental, and vision insurance, along with a 401(k) retirement savings plan which includes matching employer contributions. We also pride ourselves in giving employees many opportunities for career development including a generous annual budget for continued learning, a direct and open-door environment, and a dedication to training and skill development.
BioAge is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. BioAge prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. BioAge conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.