Boston or New York /
The Controller will be responsible for providing high quality financial and accounting services to the company by continuing to build, and taking ownership of, company accounting, financial processes and controls, financial reporting, payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable and purchasing. The majority of BioBot’s current revenue is from the government sector, so experience in businesses serving the public sector is a plus.
- Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for directing the accounting function, maintaining fiscal records, establishing and maintaining budgetary controls and procedures, financial infrastructure, and preparing financial reports for the organization in compliance with the company’s reporting requirements and operating procedures.
- Manage the preparation and distribution of internal and external financial reports including any required monthly, quarterly and annual reporting and filings.
- Review order process and fulfillment procedures. Document, and assess and manage revenue recognition processes, and associated AP/AR activities.
- Inform senior management of the potential impacts certain decisions would have on revenue recognition.
- Provide guidance and support to accounting staff, including hands-on assistance with customer invoices, vendor purchases and payroll and other compliance work with outsourced PEO.
- Management of all treasury functions, including cash management and cash runway, banking, investments, lease/equipment financing, and corporate insurance.
- Prepare organization for its first audit in coming years and manage engagement with auditors.
- Analyze and review contracts with regard to key business terms and accounting implications.
- Develop and manage key business operating metrics/dashboard.
- Assist in the processes related to inventory and cost of goods sold, including review of bill of materials (BOM) and standard costing methodology.
- Develop and Oversee budgets, cost controls, and accounting practices.
- Develop and implement effective systems, accounting policies and financial controls which maintain the integrity of all financial transactions and reporting of the company.
- Strengthen internal controls.
- Analyzes and interprets financial data and recommends changes to improve systems and financial performance.
- Evaluate, recommend, lead implementation of various financial systems to improve efficiency and controls, including: purchasing, expense reporting, R&D project time and expense tracking, and, in time, ERP systems.
- Manage and comply with local, state and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Ensure the Company maintains regulatory and U.S. GAAP compliance.
- Active CPA preferred
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance
- 6 or more years related experience
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding financial information
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Team-focused, approachable, works with a customer service mindsetMentor and manage accounting staff
- Financial modeling skills
- Advanced Excel, QuickBooks Online preferred, or other recognized cloud-based ERP systems
- Technical and comprehensive knowledge of all finance, accounting and tax areas of a business including an excellent understanding of GAAP
- Multi-tasker with an excellent focus on accuracy
- Must be organized and efficient with strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary & stock options.
- Flexible time-off policy.
- Healthcare coverage. Medical, dental, & vision.
- Team offsite retreats.
About Biobot Analytics
Our mission is to transform wastewater infrastructure into public health observatories.
Biobot Analytics is a wastewater epidemiology company and uses technology developed at MIT to measure human health in sewage (based on what is excreted in urine and stool) to understand population health in cities. We first launched an opioid product to support government and public health officials in responding to the opioid epidemic, and have recently launched a Covid19 product to estimate the scope of the outbreak in communities. We are operating in almost 400 communities across 42 states, and generating Covid19 case estimates for over 10% of the U.S. population.
Inspired by the potential of wastewater epidemiology, we the first company in the world to bring wastewater epidemiology to market. We are VC backed by top investors including The Engine, DCVC, Y Combinator and Homebrew.
Battling the drug epidemic and now the Covid19 outbreak is just the beginning - we’re transforming sewage into a data asset and building a public health database. Eventually, Biobot will be an early warning system for disease, a map of nutrition disparities, and more. Headquartered in the Boston area with an office in NYC, we aim to create the bedrock of human health infrastructure and smart cities in countries across all six continents.