Director, Product - Data Platform
Biobot is looking for a talented Product Director to join us in our mission to transform wastewater infrastructure into real-time public health observatories. Biobot is the first company in the world to commercialize data from sewage; we produce actionable information from wastewater to improve the health of communities around the world.
As Product Director, Data Platform, you will own Biobot’s platform strategy, product roadmap, and delivery for winning new data customer segment(s) as well as serving the existing applications segment through the full lifecycle.
You will build the business case for expansion into new segments using data platform as a service (DPaaS), and then lead the build out of the product working with the Heads of Engineering and Data Science, and go-to-market for that segment.
This leader will oversee the product roadmap and delivery of Data Platform for serving insights from wastewater intelligence. Partner with the Product Director, Applications and the customer experience teams to support data platform needs. They will also support sales’ prospect RFPs, meetings or client discussions from a data platform capabilities perspective.
This role will report to the VP, Product Management.
What you will be doing:
- Lead the Data platform as a service vision, strategy, roadmap working with Data Science and Engineering Heads, and System Architect
- Lead a small team of Technical Product Managers to define and implement the multi-tiered platform architecture requirements for configurability, tooling, scalability, availability, supportability, versioning, longitudinal data management including A-B testing, for various biological and chemical assay applications
- Define and implement requirements for the platform data and business logic/IP layers including ingest, data engine, longitudinal diarization and visualization, querying, clustering etc. in collaboration with Engineering, and Data science.
- Partner with the Head of Engineering, Data science and Architect to develop vision and strategy for end-to-end capabilities such as data pipelines, machine learning model orchestration, data stores, microservices, and APIs.
- Own requirements for language, security, and GDPR and government and enterprise customer needs
- Build and execute API strategy and roadmap, requirements for platform access as Part of DPAS strategy working with Heads of Engineering and Data Science
- Maintain product documentation for internal and external stakeholders.
- Director works with Head of Product, DS, Eng and Strategy on GTM and monetization of DPAS
What you need to succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, data science, MIS, math or a technical field from a reputed institution is required.
- 8+ years of product management, consulting, and/or solutions engineering experience, in data management products and platforms, with experience in leading product roadmap and requirements to implement data platforms, Master data management, and API-based products in a technical product leadership role.
- Demonstrated ability to understand the end-to-end data life cycle requirements, and knowledge of data quality, data conversion tools, best practices, and tools/technologies
- Experience with product requirements and roadmap to building data pipelines and extracting, transforming, and loading data
- Experience with AWS, GCP and other cloud-based services
- Experience working with data warehouse/cloud solutions solutions like Amazon Redshift, Google BigQuery, Snowflake, or similar
- Comfortable working at low levels of detail, examining data and trends
What will help you succeed:
- Industry experience in Life Sciences, Biotech, Public health or Healthcare is highly desired.
- Master’s degree in a technical field and an MBA is highly desirable.
Key Qualities for success:
- Problem Solving: Quickly and effectively synthesizes and solves complex, interdependent problems, understanding the end-to-end business implications of decisions. Leverages insight to drive clarity throughout the org and bring along others (incl. senior execs and large groups of stakeholders) along in the process. Can articulate decisions, highlight risks and operate with a strong, balanced view of decisions.
- Adaptability: adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions; anticipates and copes effectively with the complexity of change
- Effectively navigates ambiguity in decision making
- Facilitation and consensus building skills, to assist in resolving the different points of view and requirements during cross-team and cross-organization efforts
- Technical Judgment: Technical leader and expert who can effectively guide and counsel their team and other senior leaders to make the right effort vs. impact tradeoff decisions. When called upon, can complete the initial technical scoping with Engineering leads (enough to inform t-shirt size execution options) for the most complex projects.
- Ability to assess the impact of data architecture changes on the business, application relationships, information flow and hardware configurations
- Leadership: Inspires trust and confidence with executives, our cross-functional peers and our team. Builds a winning team, from culture and people, to processes and project execution. Projects influence across the company to empower and enable the team to deliver the right results in the right way.
- Communication and listening: Succinctly and effectively delivers the point, with the right tone and content for the audience and the moment, incl. CEO and exec-level audience. Communicates simply, clearly and powerfully. Attentive listener who seeks to understand others and actively seeks to incorporate new information.
- Ownership and Accountability: Takes full accountability for and drives results for the roadmap delivery x-functionally. Works across the organization top-to-bottom to get projects prioritized and efforts mobilized to ensure the necessary outcomes. Drives a mindset of accountability and ownership within their team, incl. establishing and holding stakeholders to an operating cadence.
- Innovative Mindset: Develops strategies to bring new technologies, applications and process changes to life. Challenges the organization in innovating and designing new solutions, methods and products to remain competitive and lead the industry. Creates an environment that champions innovation by encouraging their team and others to openly share and build on each other's new ideas, products and solutions.
- High Standards: Expects personal performance and team performance to be nothing short of the best
- Sees and evangelizes the big picture, but is disciplined in rationalizing our ambitious goals with realities of prioritization and day-to-day execution. Ensures their team executes seamlessly across Biobot and outside the company. Drives top to bottom alignment on roadmap and company-level priorities (when needed). Spearheads resolution of escalated blockers for the team.
- Customer Obsession: Has a high degree of customer empathy and drive to understand customers; uses insight to guide product priorities and solution definition.
- Product and business judgment: Contextualizes product decisions across company, industry and all stakeholders. Holds a balanced perspective with an appreciation for risks, rewards and execution. Effectively navigates ambiguity in decision making.
Physical Requirements and Special Demands:
- 10% travel may be required periodically for meetings or customer visits
The estimated salary for this position is $185,000 to $210,000 depending on prior work experience.
This range represents the low and high end of the anticipated base salary range for this position.
The actual base salary will depend on numerous factors such as: total experience, applicable knowledge and relevant skills. Final salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s leveling upon offer.
Free medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families, including a $0 deductible medical plan. We want our employees to manage their health and that of their families without worrying about high premiums or deductibles.
Unlimited PTO with 3 week minimum. Whether it's playing MTG or D&D, singing on stage, camping, raising chickens, or anything else that inspires, we want our employees to unplug and explore their passions.
12 weeks parental leave at 100% pay. We love Biobabies and know that bonding with a new child is a critical need for employees and Biobabies alike.
3% Biobot 401k contribution. Regardless of whether our employees contribute, we contribute 3% of salaries into participating employees' 401k accounts because we want to support their long-term financial goals.
$500 home office stipend for remote employees; free parking + commuter benefits and free meals for lab employees. Onsite or at home, we ensure our employees' workspace is set up for success.
At Biobot, we are working together to build a team environment in which everyone can thrive and is proud to belong. We are an equal opportunity employer and our goal is to be a diverse team that is representative, at all job levels, of the society we live in. We encourage applications from candidates of all identities and backgrounds, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in technology startups.
Our mission is to transform wastewater infrastructure into public health observatories.
Named as one of Fast Company’s most innovative companies in the world in 2021, Biobot Analytics is a wastewater epidemiology company and uses technology developed at MIT to measure biomarkers in sewage to better understand population health in cities. We first launched an opioid product to support government and public health officials in responding to the opioid epidemic, and in 2020 launched a Covid19 product to estimate the scope and trend of the outbreak in communities. We have operated in almost 500 communities across 43 U.S. states, generating Covid19 case estimates for over 13% of the U.S. population.
Battling the opioid epidemic and now the Covid19 pandemic is just the beginning - we’re transforming sewage into a data asset and building a public health database. Eventually, Biobot data will be an early warning system for disease outbreaks, a map of nutrition disparities, and more. Headquartered in the Boston area with an office in NYC, we aim to create the bedrock of human health infrastructure and smart cities in countries across all six continents.
Please note that we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.