Associate Computational Biologist
US Only (Remote Ok) /
At Biobot, we are generating large sequencing datasets of SARS-CoV-2 in wastewater samples from across the United States. As an Associate Computational Biologist, you will analyze our sequencing datasets so we can quickly return key results to funders, collaborators, and customers. We are also developing new wastewater assays to measure other pathogens and molecules. You will work with the web-lab and data science team to process, analyze, and visualize the results of these R&D assays. Your work will help to advance the science of wastewater epidemiology, and provide communities with the data they need to inform the public health response to SARS-CoV-2 and other diseases.
What you will be doing
- Execute genomic data analyses using our existing pipelines.
- Help build and improve research bioinformatics pipelines to process sequencing data. This will include both evaluating off-the-shelf tools and implementing custom analyses.
- Deliver SARS-CoV-2 sequencing results and analysis to customers, public databases, etc.
- Working with lab and data science teams, process, analyze, and visualize biological R&D data. This could include both sequencing data (amplicon, shotgun, hybrid capture, etc.) and other biological data types (e.g. digital PCR data, nanostring, qPCR).
What you need to succeed
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in a relevant field (e.g. Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science), or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years experience with genomic analysis/other biological data analysis. Experience can include full-time work, co-op/internship, and undergraduate research.
- Familiarity with next-generation sequencing data
- Proficient in Python or R, with a willingness to learn the other language
- Proficient in a Unix/Linux environment, including exposure to command-line bioinformatic tools (e.g. bowtie2, BLAST, gatk)
What will help you succeed
- 1+ years experience with next-generation DNA sequencing data
- Experience with high-performance cluster or cloud computing
- Familiarity with virology, microbiology, wastewater, or variant analysis
- Experience with scientific workflow software tools (e.g. Nextflow, Snakemake)
Some of our benefits
- Equity in Biobot
- Unlimited PTO
- 100% Biobot paid medical and dental insurance
- 3% company contribution to your 401k
- Twice yearly company offsite
- and more!
At Biobot, we are working together to build a team environment in which everyone can thrive and is proud to belong. We are an equal opportunity employer and our goal is to be a diverse team that is representative, at all job levels, of the society we live in. We encourage applications from candidates of all identities and backgrounds, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in technology startups.
Our mission is to transform wastewater infrastructure into public health observatories.
Named as one of Fast Company’s most innovative companies in the world in 2021, Biobot Analytics is a wastewater epidemiology company and uses technology developed at MIT to measure biomarkers in sewage to better understand population health in cities. We first launched an opioid product to support government and public health officials in responding to the opioid epidemic, and in 2020 launched a Covid19 product to estimate the scope and trend of the outbreak in communities. We have operated in almost 500 communities across 43 U.S. states, generating Covid19 case estimates for over 13% of the U.S. population.
Battling the opioid epidemic and now the Covid19 pandemic is just the beginning - we’re transforming sewage into a data asset and building a public health database. Eventually, Biobot data will be an early warning system for disease outbreaks, a map of nutrition disparities, and more. Headquartered in the Boston area with an office in NYC, we aim to create the bedrock of human health infrastructure and smart cities in countries across all six continents.
Please note that we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.