Research Scientist, Biology
Cambridge, MA /
Biobot’s mission is to build resilient and inclusive public health infrastructure by turning our sewers into early warning health observatories. During the COVID-19 pandemic, Biobot pioneered wastewater analysis (based on what is excreted in urine and stool) as a tool for tracking the progression of the virus through communities. We are now the leader in pathogen detection for community-level and building wastewater, as evidenced by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ recent award to sponsor COVID-19 monitoring by Biobot of over 300 hundred wastewater treatment plants representing over 100M people. Since the Company’s founding in 2017 from a Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) laboratory, we have been building capabilities to combat public health crises like the opioid epidemic, and plan to expand our early warning platform to serve as a resource management hub for disease, nutrition disparities, and more.
We are looking for Research Scientists to join our Laboratory Teams to scale our National Wastewater-based Disease Monitoring Program. Currently we are focused on SARS-CoV-2 detection from wastewater samples, however shortly we will be launching new biological assays to incorporate into the program.
What you will do:
- Design and execute hypothesis-driven research and experiments to develop more sensitive and scalable methods for pathogen quantification in wastewater.
- Execute and thoroughly document complex molecular biology and genomics protocols on wastewater samples in a consistent, efficient manner.
- Engage in process development and hypothesis-driven troubleshooting, improving and documenting our protocols for transfer to a production laboratory environment.
- Mentor junior laboratory staff, providing both scientific and technical development.
- Communicate your scientific and technical results in verbal and written form to a variety of audiences both internal and external
Who you are:
- PhD degree in a relevant scientific field.
- Prior laboratory experience in molecular biology, microbiology, virology, or wastewater epidemiology (preferred).
- Wide experience in the optimization and execution of molecular biology techniques including qPCR, sequencing and ddPCR.
- Experience mentoring and/or training junior laboratory staff.
- Experience in independent research.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Enthusiasm, independence, and a willingness to learn in a fast-paced, team environment.
Last and certainly not least:
- At Biobot, we believe that the best technologists can improve society and we strive to build a workplace in which everyone can thrive. Our goal is to be a diverse team that is representative, at all job levels, of the society we live in. We encourage applications from women; non-binary, trans, and gender-non conforming individuals; Black and indigenous individuals, and people from other minority racial and ethnic groups; and other groups traditionally underrepresented in technology startups.
- To learn more about Biobot, check out some recent press: https://www.biobot.io/media.